Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What matters more to your clients: value (price) or quality?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:04
SITE STAFF
Aug 26, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What matters more to your clients: value (price) or quality?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Quality Aug 26, 2014

I'd be stuffed otherwise

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:04
English to German
+ ...
Quality Aug 26, 2014

Why would they be willing to pay a decent rate if not for quality reasons?

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Define quality! Aug 26, 2014

I'd like to think it meant capturing the original message accurately and smoothly in the target language, but more often than not I find myself having discussions about such issues as formatting details (e.g., the boxes didn't line up perfectly in PowerPoint because the translation exceeded the space allowed in the original), how to display the translation of words in an uneditable figure, and whether or not a street address should be translated.

[Edited at 2014-08-26 09:16 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 26, 2014

I suppose it's quality, but I would never dare to ask them such a question...

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both Aug 26, 2014

Certain types of client - for example advertising or market research agencies - are often more concerned with quick turnaround times and affordable rates than quality per se, although none of them wants sub-standard texts.

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:34
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Both Price and Quality Aug 26, 2014

Most of Clients concentrate on both things : Price and Quality.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Value (actually worth, not price) Aug 26, 2014

My clients are willing to pay a fair price for high quality and trouble-free, all-inclusive service. Most of them want me to cross borders beyond translation, if I can, to get them as close to their final destination/objective as it is economically possible. This is how I got into DTP, video, and other things.

Of course, I am aware that my whole-package price must be competitive with buying each part of the "trip" from a different vendor, so I must add enough value to my offer in order to make its price attractive.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:04
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Value for money Aug 26, 2014

Is probably the key driving factor for all customers/clients and the prime constituents of 'value' vary so much with each project. 'Value' covers a broad spectrum of quantifiable and unquantifiable factors such as:

- cost (price)
- quality (workmanship)
- timely delivery (short deadlines)
- adherance to specific complicated job requirements/specifications (attention to detail)
- ability to handle different file formats (computer savviness)
- other special translation skills, such as word limitation in UIs
etc., etc.

I just hope that the experience, flexibility and peripheral expertise I have picked up over the years equate to 'added value' in the eyes of my customers. Otherwise, if all customers/clients were driven entirely by 'price over quality', I think I'd get more job satisfaction working as a crash test dummy for a living.

Added a few words + minor edits

[Edited at 2014-08-26 11:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-26 12:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-27 00:55 GMT]

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
The word 'quality' is another useless buzzword... Aug 26, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Is probably the key driving factor for all customers/clients and the prime constituents of 'value' vary so much with each project. 'Value' covers a broad spectrum of quantifiable and unquantifiable factors such as:

- cost (price)
- quality (workmanship)
- timely delivery (short deadlines)
- adherance to specific complicated job requirements/specifications (attention to detail)
- ability to handle different file formats (computer savviness)
- other special translation skills, such as word limitation in UIs
etc., etc.

I just hope that the experience, flexibility and peripheral expertise I have picked up over the years equate to 'added value' in the eyes of my customers. Otherwise, if all customers/clients were driven entirely by 'price over quality', I think I'd get more job satisfaction working as a crash test dummy for a living.

Added a few words + minor edits

[Edited at 2014-08-26 11:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-26 12:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-26 13:59 GMT]

...but I like what you wrote, Julian.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clarifying a few things Aug 26, 2014

First, different clients have different priorities, one of which is to deliver a well-written product. At least, that's the common denominator among all my clients.

Second, value is not the same as price. Whoever thinks (or writes) otherwise needs to take a foundation class in commerce...or read a dictionary first.

Perhaps some people think that every client wants translations done yesterday. Some clients may want that, but my years of practice have taught me to avoid them.

[Edited at 2014-08-26 15:45 GMT]

njweatherdon
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Value = 0 if quality is not high Aug 26, 2014

My prices are reasonable. Quality is all that matters.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The question says "YOUR" clients Aug 26, 2014

So, considering MY clients, that is, those who have become my regular clients, quality is above price. Once the price is negotiated, quality comes first.

Now, if the question was "What matters more to clients in general", than price would be a very high priority, above all to those who wish to become your clients, but are not able to make it once they mention THEIR prices.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Quality is actually cheapest for clients Aug 26, 2014

The agencies I work with regularly spend time finding out precisely what the client wants.

Then they find the right translator and send background information where relevant, and have the translation proofread afterwards. They make a real effort to get things right first time, because then they can expect satisfied end clients to come back next time they need a translation.

Getting it right first time saves hassle and corrections later - and nobody earns money on corrections! They do not have to search for so many new clients to fill the order books if they have plenty of repeat clients, so they save on marketing.

This adds up to value for money - not necessarily at the lowest price, but at a level that is satisfactory for everyone.

Concentrating on quality and efficiency first is often cheapest in the long run.

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
Depends on the client Aug 27, 2014

but I tend to avoid these whose priority is price.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What matters more to your clients: value (price) or quality?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search