Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which operating system do you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 16:46
SITE STAFF
Sep 15, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which operating system do you use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Rozwarzewska. View the poll results »



Direct link Reply with quote
 

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:46
Member
German to English
+ ...
Windows Seven and Eight Sep 15, 2014

I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop, because that is what the laptop was supplied with. I must look into downgrading as Windows 8 is hopeless for work. It is designed more for leisure use.

[Editat el 2014-09-15 09:11 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er.... Sep 15, 2014

My main PC has a mix of XP (so that I can use some of my older SW and dictionaries, and anyway I prefer the XP interface, as well as earlier versions of MS Office) and W7.

I have a backup PC (and 2 laptops, one for each language) with the Windows 7 and office 2010 on it just in case, but as usually happens with software "upgrades", I tend to find the new features of little use and I really hate it when basic functions that I use a lot have been moved, meaning that I have to learn new procedures, since time is money.

The last time I updated, my tech guy told me to avoid W8, saying it had been designed mainly with mobile devices in mind and would contribute little to my work, and in fact would probably give rise to irritating issues of compatibility etc...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:46
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Windows 8.1 and happy Sep 15, 2014

I have Windows 8.1 on my desktop and laptop and very happy with it. I tweaked it a Little to fit my needs. I love the enormous speed. I turn on my computer and in 30 seconds I am ready to work (but I guess the ssd helps a bit too), I started using this setup almost 9 months ago. No compatibilty issues at all. I don't understand why people hate 8.1 so much....

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:46
Member (2008)
English to Italian
MAC OS X Sep 15, 2014

MAC OS X and when I visit my family in summer I use a laptop (Windows 7).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:46
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Windows 8 Sep 15, 2014

My Packard Bell desktop PC is quite new, and when a window showed up prompting me to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 for free, I just automatically accepted... regretting it bitterly afterwards.

For some reason my computer could not handle the upgrade and it totally crashed. I called Microsoft, who referred me to the manufacturer, Packard Bell, and PB told me that a lot of people had had this problem, because the machine was only created to work with Windows 8. However, Microsoft had gone behind their backs....bla, bla... I will spare you for all the details...
but in the end after a lot of trouble and time lost I had to reset my PC to manufacturerer's initial settings.

So much for my up-to-date operating system.

[Edited at 2014-09-15 11:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-15 11:04 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Francone
Local time: 01:46
Romanian to Italian
+ ...
Linux Fedora Sep 15, 2014

I've using this system from years and I'm very happy with it, I find it great!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

R-i-c-h-a-r-d  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:46
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Windows 7 Sep 15, 2014

Windows 7 running Trados Studio 2014.

No problems


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Windows 7 and (unfortunately) 8.1 Sep 15, 2014

Ian Jones wrote:
I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop, because that is what the laptop was supplied with. I must look into downgrading as Windows 8 is hopeless for work. It is designed more for leisure use.

I only got my laptop a week or two ago so I would expect to still be having a few teething problems. However, iti does seem to be totally incompatible with a working environment and I really, really HATE Windows 8. I don't think it's me as I didn't have more than a few passing hiccups adapting from XP to 7.

A worrying 10% of translators are using XP alone. I know it worked really well but it's no longer supported, is it? That must present a huge business risk. I imagine the security loopholes are growing daily.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Leisure use Sep 15, 2014

Ian Jones wrote:

I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop, because that is what the laptop was supplied with. I must look into downgrading as Windows 8 is hopeless for work. It is designed more for leisure use.

[Editat el 2014-09-15 09:11 GMT]


Your comment reminds me of why computers keep getting faster and more powerful: videogamers. Now, if you play fantasy football or solitary on your work computer, that's leisure use and you get penalized. How ironic, huh?



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing Sep 15, 2014

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

My Packard Bell desktop PC is quite new, and when a window showed up prompting me to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 for free, I just automatically accepted... regretting it bitterly afterwards.

For some reason my computer could not handle the upgrade and it totally crashed. I called Microsoft, who referred me to the manufacturer, Packard Bell, and PB told me that a lot of people had had this problem, because the machine was only created to work with Windows 8. However, Microsoft had gone behind their backs....bla, bla... I will spare you for all the details...
but in the end after a lot of trouble and time lost I had to reset my PC to manufacturerer's initial settings.

So much for my up-to-date operating system.

[Edited at 2014-09-15 11:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-15 11:04 GMT]


You have a Packard Bell computer? That brand went out of business in the USA in the mid 90s.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:46
French to English
Windows 8 Sep 15, 2014

I have been using Windows 8 for a while now, but I have an extra gadget installed that makes it look more like a Windows 7/Vista interface, with that oh-so-important Start button!

Without that gadget, I probably would have thrown my computer out the window long ago... using the touchscreen interface on a non-touchscreen computer is just not practical. Why can't Windows developers just leave things alone!!

Reminds me of the huge changes that came in Microsoft Office with the introduction of the "ribbon", although I use a recent version of Office, I still prefer the 2003 layout.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows 8 or 9: not for me, not now. Sep 15, 2014

I still run my PCs on Windows 7 (home premium or professional versions). I also run Win 7 Pro on Parallels 9 in my Mac OSX 10.8.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a 27-inch iMac down the road with at least 32 GB of RAM because my humble MacBook Pro (2009) with 8 GB of RAM is getting a tad stretched with Mac OSX 10.6, Mac OSX 10.8 and Windows 7 (w/Parallels).

Why, you say, am I running OSX 10.6? Simple: it has the Front Row application with which I see the upcoming movie trailers by clicking my laptop's remote. Nerdy, ain't it?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:46
French to English
Packard Bell Sep 15, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:



You have a Packard Bell computer? That brand went out of business in the USA in the mid 90s.



Me too - they are quite strong in Europe apparently, now part of Acer group?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 15, 2014

Lori Cirefice wrote:
... Why can't Windows developers just leave things alone!!

Reminds me of the huge changes that came in Microsoft Office with the introduction of the "ribbon", although I use a recent version of Office, I still prefer the 2003 layout.


I still hate the ribbon after more than a year of struggling with it. I'd gleefully strangle Bill Gates with it....


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which operating system do you use?

Advanced search






WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search