Poll: In comparison to a paid job, how much time do you usually spend on an unpaid sample translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:47
SITE STAFF
Sep 19, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In comparison to a paid job, how much time do you usually spend on an unpaid sample translation?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mykola Khandoga. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
I don't do unpaid tests but... Sep 19, 2014

... if I did I would definitely spend LOADS more time than usual.

I've checked a lot of test translations over the years, and most of them have been disappointing.

[Edited at 2014-09-19 08:15 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't provide unpaid sample translations to agencies ... Sep 19, 2014

... but I will sit for a test given by an international organization, since they pay a lot more than most agencies. Those tests are timed, so the question doesn't apply.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't provide unpaid sample translations or tests Sep 19, 2014

All potential clients are more than welcome to contract me for a small-sized job in case of any concerns or doubts about my qualifications or services before committing to a larger project.

Anyway, the amount of time spent on a translation assignment is related to its difficulty or complexity. When I work pro bono I give exactly the same attention to that text as I would to a paid job.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:47
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
More or less the same as usual Sep 19, 2014

I try to give a representative sample of my work, and I do not give references, so if clients look promising, I make an effort to 'catch' them.

I sometimes spend a little extra time polishing a sample, but often I am busy with other jobs, and have to fit it in when I can.

There is no point in spending a lot of additional time on 250 - 300 words. I do my best, as always, and perhaps read it through once more, or look for special issues included to see how I tackle them, and give them some thought. That is what I would do 'in real life' too. I reckon that WYSIWYG is the best policy, rather than promising more than I will be able to provide when real jobs come!

If I haven't frightened the client off with my rates, it works quite well.

[Edited at 2014-09-19 08:53 GMT]

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:47
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
As long as it takes Sep 19, 2014

Translation takes as long as it takes. I don't translate faster for some people and slower for others.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I don't provide unpaid test translations Sep 19, 2014

All potential clients are welcome to contract me with a "test" translation of a couple of 100 words, paying my normal rate or at least pay 75 %, if it is not a document they need to have translated.

There is also the option to view my sample translations, well, 1 translation and 1 editing sample, on my ProZ.com profile - which also displays the number of years as a translator.

Regarding the time spend on any given translation (or proofreading/editing) project, this largely depends on the type of translation, the quality of the source text and the subject.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 19, 2014

I don't USUALLY do sample translations any more. I might consider doing one if a job came up that I was really interested in for some reason, but nowadays clients tend to approach me without too many demands, as I usually come recommended by word of mouth. This month for example, I've got more work coming in than I can comfortably deal with, and the colleagues who I would usually pass it on to are either busy themselves or not available until October...

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Sep 19, 2014

I am not currently actively looking for new clients - so I tend to meet new clients by referral and by them approaching me. When they do approach me, they tend to do so with a job not a request for a sample.

Texte Style
French to English
more time Sep 19, 2014

I'll spend more time (if I think the client is worth it of course). Not because I want to lure them in then deliver rubbish when they choose me, but because they are new to me, I need to do research to translate it properly.

I'll similarly spend more time on a first paid translation for a client, it'll come in handy when they start sending me more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In comparison to a paid job, how much time do you usually spend on an unpaid sample translation?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search