Poll: Do you usually set out-of-office replies if you're away from your desk for less than one day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually set out-of-office replies if you're away from your desk for less than one day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maciej Burak. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:38
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Sep 24, 2014

It depends where I'm going. If I'm going to a funeral or hospital appointment or somewhere where I can't be disturbed, then I will. If I'm just going out for lunch or shopping, etc. then I won't!

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:38
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes, if Sep 24, 2014

I do if I plan to be away for more than a few hours. Being away for me means not reading my emails and with the fairly short deadlines I tend to work with, clients need to know why I am not replying and when they can expect a reply.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 24, 2014

Not usually, but I might, depending on circumstances. I usually only leave these messages when I'm away for a whole day or more.
Sometimes if I'm going to be away all morning, for example at the hospital/tax office/etc I might leave a message, but not always.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 24, 2014

I have a habit of leaving them on all the time.

These things have a lot to answer for. Almost daily my Scandi customers cause me almost physical pain by saying "I'm out of office" even though they can't all be failed politicians.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
No Sep 24, 2014

Because I don't know how!

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Sep 24, 2014

I check my email on my phone, so I'm almost always at hand for clients. However, since the data network rates here are so high, I only check my email (when out of office) manually. Sometimes a rush job has come up and I haven't responded for some hours, so I've lost some.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not anymore Sep 24, 2014

Not anymore in these days of mobile devices.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice Sep 24, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Almost daily my Scandi customers cause me almost physical pain by saying "I'm out of office" even though they can't all be failed politicians.

Good one

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:38
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Sep 24, 2014

That was an old "technic" used in the 90s when we had no electronic handheld devices.

Carolin Popp
Carolin Popp  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Phone service is often bad Sep 24, 2014

As I live in a very rural area, phone service isn't always good so I can't check my emails anywhere. Better be safe setting an out-of-office reply, than sorry.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:38
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Sep 25, 2014

It's not necessary - I don't do rush jobs. So, I don't have to be contacted in an emergency, jump to attention and get back to them right away. 95% of work I get lasts longer than 3 or 4 days and sometimes 2 or 3 months.

Besides, I give my mobile No. to my best customers to contact me only in an 'emergency', a practice which they are good enough to observe.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually set out-of-office replies if you're away from your desk for less than one day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »