Poll: Do you work with direct clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:11
SITE STAFF
Oct 9, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work with direct clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ksenia Annis. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, mainly Oct 9, 2014

Thank my lucky stars! I don't think I could handle all agency work, judging by the litany of complaints on translator forums and some personal experience. They are too often too demanding IMO. The few agencies I do still work with are OK though (even one with a poor Blue Board rating).

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, mainly Oct 9, 2014

Last time this question was asked I said: "Approximately half of my jobs are from agencies and half from direct clients, with monthly variations..." (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/260128-poll_do_you_work_with_direct_clients.html), but the situation has changed and for some time circa 65/70% of my work come from direct clients.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
It's changed Oct 9, 2014

Until a few yeas ago, virtually all my work apart from one customer was from agencies. But now I do more literary work, dealing directly with the individual authors, or in one case, with a business magazine. It suits me, I prefer this kind of work, and I hope to continue this way as long as the supply doesn't dry up. But I still fit in short jobs for agencies when I can.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Oct 9, 2014

It is natural to find more translators working with agencies here on a Proz.com forum, which does not necessarily reflect the experience of translators universally.

But it would be interesting to hear what the agency/direct client pros and cons are from 'our' translators who also work with several direct clients.

[Edited at 2014-10-09 12:31 GMT]

Gudrun Maydorn  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, almost exclusively Oct 9, 2014

Nearly all my work is for direct clients, although I do also work for one or two translator colleagues.

I enjoy the personal contact and direct involvement, for example when I meet clients at trade fairs and see their products with my own eyes before translating the respective operating instructions.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pros and cons Oct 9, 2014

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

it would be interesting to hear what the agency/direct client pros and cons are from 'our' translators who also work with several direct clients.

IME:

Pros: More money, easier to get answers to questions, more money, much more appreciative, more money, no Trados, more money, treated with more respect, did I mention more money?
Cons: Harder to turn down work, sometimes have unreasonable expectations

But it depends a great deal on who it is. My direct customers are banks; working with people coming in off the street would be entirely different.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plus... Oct 9, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

it would be interesting to hear what the agency/direct client pros and cons are from 'our' translators who also work with several direct clients.

IME:

Pros: More money, easier to get answers to questions, more money, much more appreciative, more money, no Trados, more money, treated with more respect, did I mention more money?

I'd also add IME more reasonable deadlines.

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:11
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Only direct clients... Oct 9, 2014

...and only from Canada, although I wouldn't mind having some US clients.

Pros: collaboration, consideration, trust, regular work, professional rates.
Cons: responding to every "special" demands (last minute rushes, evening/night/weekend shifts) too often can lead to really bad habits that are really, really hard to break; recurrent jobs means you have to be there even when you would need to take a break; coordination may be challenging sometimes.

And the funny-no-so-funny discovery I made: most appreciative clients won't tell the world about you. They don't want to share: they want you to be available when they need you! So, don't expect them to spell your name anytime a collegue, a partner or even a client of theirs ask "do you know any translator...?"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work with direct clients?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search