Poll: Do you have a colleague/friend in the same industry with whom you can casually discuss your job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 10, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a colleague/friend in the same industry with whom you can casually discuss your job?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 10, 2014

My wife, and previously various employees

Otherwise no - I've never felt the need

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:02
English to German
+ ...
Yes, Oct 10, 2014

my team partner.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 10, 2014

Casually I have a few ex-colleagues with whom I may discuss translation related issues. More formally, I have an arrangement with an ex-colleague (we worked together for 20 years at an European Institution) where we provide each other with mutual assistance and cooperation (mainly proofreading) and she is my first port of call when any translation related issues arise. One of my daughters is also a translator and though her specialization (biotechnology) is quite different from mine we do talk a... See more
Casually I have a few ex-colleagues with whom I may discuss translation related issues. More formally, I have an arrangement with an ex-colleague (we worked together for 20 years at an European Institution) where we provide each other with mutual assistance and cooperation (mainly proofreading) and she is my first port of call when any translation related issues arise. One of my daughters is also a translator and though her specialization (biotechnology) is quite different from mine we do talk and discuss things...Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 10, 2014

But unfortunately we don't get to spend enough time together nowadays... so sometimes the only place I have to let off steam about things is here!

Anne-Laure Martin
Anne-Laure Martin  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes Oct 10, 2014

Better if it is someone you have had the opportunity to meet in person. I have one person, and even if we don't speak every day, I know I can call to share something that has happened to me or some questionning.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Many Oct 10, 2014

I have many collegues here where I live and frequent contact with them.

Chien Nguyen
Chien Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 11:02
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
yes, I have many Oct 10, 2014

Since I work as both translator and interpreter of English - Vietnamese pair, so I have many colleagues to whom I can talk and share regularly in person.
Great that we do not walk alone.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 10, 2014

My wife, former colleagues from my in-house days, and a couple of other translators that I have met during group projects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a colleague/friend in the same industry with whom you can casually discuss your job?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »