Poll: Have you ever experienced a hardware crash just before sending a completed project to your customer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:52
SITE STAFF
Oct 13, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever experienced a hardware crash just before sending a completed project to your customer?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:52
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Once Oct 13, 2014

It happened to me only two weeks ago.
To my relief the agency was very understanding and sent the source text and TM (including the work I had completed – thank God it was a server-based translation!) in another format, so I could run the text in Workbench on my old computer and deliver the translation.
But it was very stressful and I’m seriously thinking about buying a Mac as they seem to be more stable than PCs.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Yes, but a very long time ago Oct 13, 2014

Touch wood, equipment has become more reliable over the last few years (and backup to external hard disk on a regular basis would protect me anyway)

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A long time ago Oct 13, 2014

When I was just starting out about 15 years ago. It was a hot summer day in Valencia, Spain and I had a discount laptop that was sensitive to heat. I pulled out my house fan and blasted the sucker and luckily it came back to life.

Today I have about 4 computers, 3 different backup systems and lots of ways of connecting to the Internet.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Last year Oct 13, 2014

I had translated a large project and was in the proofreading stage when my hard drive smoked itself up.

Fortunately, I had done a back-up on an external hard drive the previous evening. Using my laptop, I informed the client of the poroblem and we agreed on me delivering the project "as soon as possible" ... which was "only" 1.5 hours after the initial delivery time. After that I did need an hour to calm down.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
A couple of times Oct 13, 2014

Which is why a carry out frequent baclkups

Luiz Barucke
Brazil
Local time: 14:52
Member (2013)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
No Oct 13, 2014

It never happened to me, but I make back up several times a day to a pen drive and I have a laptop ready to work as a second computer, and I also update its files with the same pen drive at least once a week.

A frequent back up is the key, because hard drives are like banks... They don't tell you they gonna crash.

Translation Pro  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Software Incompatibility Oct 13, 2014

This happened to me several times while working on a project for a client . The problem was that all the text was in hundreds of tables and there was an incompatibility issue between the software packages that made it crash.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, once or twice Oct 13, 2014

Although power cuts and wifi outages are a more common occurrence around here than HW issues.

Thomas Carey  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Crashes, yes. Oct 13, 2014

I am still trying to find out why my PC is crashing... (If there are any BSOD experts out there.) Luckily it has never happened just before delivering a project.

Backup, backup, backup... EVERYTHING!

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, a couple of times Oct 14, 2014

The last time (in August 2013) it was because I downloaded a manual for my camera from a site that had a Trojan horse in it. My hard drive burned up and I had to upgrade to a new OS at the same time because I was on XP. Windows 8 was already in the market and I had to special order Windows 7. So not only did I have to finish the job on my netbook but I had to face a steep leaning curve on the new computer.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:22
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
A couple of times, but I have now learned my lessons Oct 14, 2014

Now I have created sufficient redundancy in my computer systems, so that such outages do not cripple me. I am also using more of the free cloud services available to store critical files and data, which have also proved to be life savers on a couple of occasions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever experienced a hardware crash just before sending a completed project to your customer?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search