Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: After how many years do you usually replace your computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:26
SITE STAFF
Oct 29, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "After how many years do you usually replace your computer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hiromi HORIYA. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
> 5 years Oct 29, 2014

I believe a PC should last at least 5 years. And it isn't always necessary to replace the whole PC, sometimes just upgrading some SW is enough to be able to keep going without spending too much on the latest gimmicky releases from grasping manufacturers.....

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other: Partial upgrades... as needed Oct 29, 2014

I build my own computers, and do partial upgrades as they become necessary.

Some parts last amazingly long. I recall a particular Teac floppy drive, bought for my 386DX40 that lived through countless upgrades, its last place of residence being a Pentium II.

So I don't have a regular schedule for replacing computers. Any part that wears off or fails is immediately replaced. If the existing hardware cannot cope with new software requirements, or when processing speed becomes inadequate for my needs, I replace the motherboard and processor, keeping all the parts that are still compatible (of course, replacing those that are not).

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:26
Turkish to English
+ ...
Roughly every two years Oct 29, 2014

I have had to go out and get a replacement about every two years because the one I am using has crashed and died. I use refurbished computers, mind you.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 29, 2014

When I feel it’s time (if it costs more to upgrade than buying a new one). I've had computers that lasted more than 5 years and others much less...

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it Oct 29, 2014

This year I started using desktop computer no. 3 - or no. 5 if you count the two I had in-house, one of which was a 'Monday model' and had to be replaced after a couple of months.

I used my last computer for over six years, and only stopped because it ran on XP, and it was time to move on. I needed to update my CD dictionaries, use a version of Windows that is more compatible with clients' versions, and install the latest Trados.

I reckon (hope) the present computer will see me through to retirement.

I am still using the same laptop after 6 or 7 years, but in fact it was given a major overhaul this summer and a new harddisk to take the updates.

All I miss is the game of 'Baffle' with the Oxford dictionary... great for a 3-minute break! It was addictive, but so annoying that I used to go happily back to the most boring of jobs after a couple of rounds!

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
> 5 years... Oct 29, 2014

... because I don't subscribe to the idea that you must renew whenever possible. just the fact that you can replace your computer does not mean that you have to. Also, changing to a new computer every two years "accidentally" means having to master a new operating system. It ook me half a year to figure out the one that I have now, so I intend to profit from my learning as long as possible

Ben Harrison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
5+ years Oct 29, 2014

I just bought a new desktop and the aim is to only use it for work purposes and make it last as long as possible. If/when it gets too slow I'd have to try and work out the cost of replacing it against the lost earning capacity of not replacing it.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Oct 29, 2014

When it's on the brink of smoking itself up.

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 22:26
German to English
+ ...
as needed, and... Oct 29, 2014

I just replaced my computer two days ago. The old one had become incredibly slow and erratic over the last few weeks, and it was about 5 years old. The "and" part is to aim for higher quality. Software and things on the Internet are constantly evolving so if your new computer just barely can manage with what exists today, it may have problems with what will exist in the future. Everything keeps having more and more bells and whistles, and all of it makes higher demands on your computer.

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Adding more memory ... Oct 29, 2014

... is a quick and cheap way to improve performance and help prolong a computer's life.

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Other Oct 29, 2014

When it needs it.

My computers usually didn't live longer than 4 years, with the exception of the last one, which lived longer than that.

I learnt not to replace failed hardware, because very soon after that something else breaks down, and I need a new one anyway. Once my laptops start failing, it's time for their retirement.

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:26
English to Russian
+ ...
When I wish and can afford Oct 29, 2014

Modern computers are often easier to replace than to repair. Also, computer preferences strongly depend on way of life (mighty desktop for homeseaters, small laptops with long-lasting battery and convenient keyboard for travellers, etc.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:56
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I cannibalize them Oct 29, 2014

So my computers run on and on indefinitely, or at least some of their body parts do.

Like Jose, I too go for assembled computers, though I don't do the actual assembling myself. I just give my specifications to the local hardware geek and he puts together the contraption for me. Often, to cut costs, I reuse part of my older set up such as hard disk, cd writer, memory chips, monitor, input devices, etc.

This also helps in maintaining redundancy in my computer system - which is an essential insurance step against computer crashes. All my computers are linked by LAN and wifi and I run several versions of the same software in different computers - this means the older dinosaurs still prove useful to me.

Of late I am becoming more of a fan of laptops than desktop PCs, mainly because the former occupy less desk space and come with battery back up of several hours, which is sometimes useful when power supply is erratic as during the monsoon months.

Laptops unfortunately are less cannibalizable than PCs so I may eventually have to give up my strategy of holding on to bits and pieces of the computer hardware till they literally disintegrate in my hands.

Even as I type this, the keyboard is an ancient ten year old, but still immensely serviceable, Samsung keyboard, while the motherboard of my PC, a relatively new intel i3, is only a few years old. The monitor, another Samsung piece, is slightly older - at about four years. I am not much of a music fan, and my speakers, a three piece set, is quite ancient with one of the small speakers having practically died. The most replaced part of my system is the mouse, which needs replacing almost every six months, the current one is a cheap and troublesome Chinese gadget that is due for replacement - it has now lost the ability to distinguish between a single click and a double click and treats almost all clicks as double clicks.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Oct 29, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I build my own computers, and do partial upgrades as they become necessary.

Some parts last amazingly long. I recall a particular Teac floppy drive, bought for my 386DX40 that lived through countless upgrades, its last place of residence being a Pentium II.

So I don't have a regular schedule for replacing computers. Any part that wears off or fails is immediately replaced. If the existing hardware cannot cope with new software requirements, or when processing speed becomes inadequate for my needs, I replace the motherboard and processor, keeping all the parts that are still compatible (of course, replacing those that are not).

It's about time to replace my power supply (or at least one of its fans), my video card (new games are coming out), and I would like to add a second hard drive (again, new games). I did splurge last year and I bought one of those gaming rigs with all the little flashing lights and windows. I'm just missing the liquid neon coolant stuff

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: After how many years do you usually replace your computer?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search