Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use Facebook to promote your translation business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 12, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use Facebook to promote your translation business?".

This poll was originally submitted by brigith. View the poll results »

Deirdre Brophy (X)
Deirdre Brophy (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Irish
+ ...
Not usually... Nov 12, 2014

But when I first set up my website, I did announce it on Facebook. At the time, I thought if people linked to my page on Facebook, this would improve its ranking in Google. Apparently this is not the case, since facebook links are marked as "no follow", and does not improve search engine rankings. Anyway, it was nice to share my site with friends and let them know I had set up shop!

I also found translation work on Facebook recently, although I think this probably does not happen to
... See more
But when I first set up my website, I did announce it on Facebook. At the time, I thought if people linked to my page on Facebook, this would improve its ranking in Google. Apparently this is not the case, since facebook links are marked as "no follow", and does not improve search engine rankings. Anyway, it was nice to share my site with friends and let them know I had set up shop!

I also found translation work on Facebook recently, although I think this probably does not happen too often...
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2014

I never mention my translation work on Facebook, but I do use it to promote the book I wrote (Finding My Invincible Summer).

I don't encourage colleagues to hook up with me on FB; some have friended me on FB, but 99% of them are on LinkedIn.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2014

In fact, I don't really do anything to promote my "translation business" (I'll never get used to that expression). More often than not I find myself wishing that I had fewer clients, or at least that they all wouldn't turn up at the same time. For example, right now I'm hurrying to finish one job because I know another client is about to appear any day now and bombard me with stuff for a week to 10 days.

In fact, ... what am I doing blathering on here when I should be working?
... See more
In fact, I don't really do anything to promote my "translation business" (I'll never get used to that expression). More often than not I find myself wishing that I had fewer clients, or at least that they all wouldn't turn up at the same time. For example, right now I'm hurrying to finish one job because I know another client is about to appear any day now and bombard me with stuff for a week to 10 days.

PS: A self-employed friend of mine was using her personal FB page to promote her home business (selling shoes and fashion items) and they banned her from using it for that purpose, or so she says anyway.

[Edited at 2014-11-12 12:53 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2014

Never have, never will. Period.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Couldn't have put it better! Nov 12, 2014

neilmac wrote:

... Except that my text is about housing for the elderly and I'm as tired as a whole old-people's home, to use a Danish expression
The deadline is near, back to my proofing...

I never go near Facebook if I can avoid it.

Silvy Codde (X)
Silvy Codde (X)  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Flemish
+ ...
No, strictly for personal use Nov 12, 2014

No, for me Facebook is strictly for personal use and communicating with friends and relatives. I believe that my private life and my professional work should be strictly separated. I do use LinkedIn for professional networking.

Tania McConaghy
Tania McConaghy  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
separate business FB page? Nov 12, 2014

I don't use FB privately or for my business, however as I far as I know it is possible to have a business FB page that is completely separate to your personal FB page. This would perhaps avoid the overlap between the business and private spheres.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
One of these days... Nov 12, 2014

Silvy Codde wrote:

No, for me Facebook is strictly for personal use and communicating with friends and relatives. I believe that my private life and my professional work should be strictly separated. I do use LinkedIn for professional networking.

100% in agreement. I keep Facebook only because of close family members, close friends and some acquaintances, including friends who are colleagues.

Given the sketchy history Facebook has with regards to privacy settings and because it is, after all, an advertising business model, I feel intensely uncomfortable associating my professional activities (how's that, Neilmac, instead of the bland translation business?) with Mark Zuckerberg and lining his already filthy rich pockets.

There are, however, businesses that lend themselves suitable for Facebook promotion, such as my veterinary clinic, because they are mainly social businesses.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A question Nov 12, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

I feel intensely uncomfortable associating my professional activities (how's that, Neilmac, instead of the bland translation business?) with Mark Zuckerberg and lining his already filthy rich pockets.

How can using a service that is provided completely free of charge line anyone's pockets?

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
With this, it is enough to mirrow what I thought Nov 12, 2014

I hardly use Facebook, only for keeping up with friends and when they push me into appearing on it.

I hate posting everything about one's own life on there, having to make it with impact while in real life it is not and expecting likes. People giving likes so easily.

Silvy Codde wrote:

Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2014

I don't use Facebook (at all).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A rose by any other .... Nov 12, 2014

Mario Chavez (or somebpdy else?) wrote:

I feel intensely uncomfortable associating my professional activities (how's that, Neilmac, instead of the bland translation business?) with Mark Zuckerberg and lining his already filthy rich pockets.

Yeah, that'll do nicely. I just dislike being referred to as a business or business person.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not exactly a free service Nov 12, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

How can using a service that is provided completely free of charge line anyone's pockets?

One thing is to use Facebook for free because one does it for family and friends, or for a hobby. To use it to promote one's business, knowing that Facebook uses us for advertisement targets, means my work is indirectly supporting Facebook and its advertisers.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Free of charge? Nov 12, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Facebook is not free of charge, just because you don't pay money for something it doesn't mean it's free of charge. Facebook makes money by using your personal data, the price you pay for using Facebook is giving them free access to your personal data.

Your personal data is worth something (how much is up to debate) so any service that asks you do give it away for free is "charging" you for using their services.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140509-how-much-is-your-facebook-worth
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129811-guess-how-much-money-your-personal-data-is-worth-a-study-has-finally-found-out
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/apr/22/how-much-is-personal-data-worth
http://www.itworld.com/article/2833173/it-management/your-personal-data-is-worth-serious-money--so-why-just-give-it-away-.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/07/10/your-personal-data-is-worth-less-than-a-latte-according-to-you/

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use Facebook to promote your translation business?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »