Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a certificate of proficiency in your source language(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 14:20
SITE STAFF
Nov 23, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a certificate of proficiency in your source language(s)?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 23, 2014

I have a BA degree in "Modern Languages". However, my main subjects were Russian and French, and although I work translating from Spanish to English, I only studied a very basic "half class" in my final year, to make up the credits required. I acquired my knowledge of Spanish after moving here over 20 years ago, so I wouldn't say I had any formal qualification or certificate really. No biggie.

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
English to Polish
Other Nov 23, 2014

MA in Russian and Ukrainian. Nothing for English.

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 16:20
German to English
+ ...
Other Nov 23, 2014

I think this is something European? I never heard about it when growing up. Surely a university degree and appropriate training in translation is at least good enough?

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Degree Nov 23, 2014

Bsc in Modern Languages (French and German). Is this question referring to an official certificate like Cambridge Advanced English or Goethe Institute certificates?

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:20
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yep Nov 23, 2014

My B.A. (Hons) degree from the SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies), University of London has stood me in good stead.

Like Ian asks, is this question referring to a non-University or non-higher education certificate?

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
Russian to English
+ ...
My two main source languages have been acquired both the natural way Nov 23, 2014

and in school (Russian and Polish), so I do not really need a certificate. I have a final evaluation of my Swedish--from an MA program where it was my subspecialization.

[Edited at 2014-11-23 11:00 GMT]

Gallagy
Ireland
Local time: 22:20
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Yep Nov 23, 2014

but possibly should have put "other".

BA in (English and) Spanish
2nd BA in French

MA in Translations Studies using all 3 languages...

question unclear but I presume a BA is a cert. of proficiency...

Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Sort of Nov 23, 2014

I have a MA with honors in Conference Interpreting from Italy's top language studies university, this should be enough!

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
yes Nov 23, 2014

Degree in Foreign languages + a Master obtained in the UK (other subject) but anyway you needed to be able to speak English to obtain it

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
European language level descriptions Nov 23, 2014

If we're talking language levels in Europe, perhaps we should pay attention to the levels recognised at European level:

http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/education/elp/elp-reg/Source/Key_reference/CEFR_EN.pdf (pages 29 and 30 are the ones to go to).

I was talking recently to someone who had graduated from the same course at my university this year as I did and he says that he thought his level was supposed to be C2. (Modern Languages, University of Cambridge). Quite frankly I suspect this was not the case when I was there many moons ago - at reading level maybe, but not as a speaker. We had a compulsory spoken test on arrival, but after that, nothing after that, although there was an option test, which I believe was a CCK (Certificate of Competent Knowledge). Unfortunately I have not been able to find any document on-line describing this test. The concept of profiency at that time was definitely not as all-round as we might expect now. So we need also to think about if we actually need proficiency in all the skills in order to translate...

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
A certificate, not a diploma, right? Nov 23, 2014

Ian Jones wrote:

Bsc in Modern Languages (French and German). Is this question referring to an official certificate like Cambridge Advanced English or Goethe Institute certificates?

From my own exposure, I think certificates of proficiency are those written statements issued by a college or university asserting that an individual has completed a number of credit hours studying a particular language, perhaps for 2 to 4 semesters, no more.

I think the clue is in the word proficiency.

So, I answered no. I am vexed, however, by what a community college in America, close to where I live, has classified my four-year university degree (a BA, no less) in English and Translation Studies: TEFL studies. Insulting.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:50
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I have a Master's degree in Hindi Nov 23, 2014

For me English and Hindi are the source languages (and also the target, as I work in both directions). In Hindi I have a Master's degree from Delhi University, but in English I have no professional degree or certificate of proficiency.

I am equally proficient in both these languages and I have learned both these languages from early childhood from school and have developed my proficiency in them by constant reading, writing and translating.

Mariel Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:20
English
+ ...
Yes Nov 23, 2014

I have a C2 CPE certificate that I passed when I wanted to get into EFL, but I don't think it had any real impact on getting into translation (for current clients, back when they were just prospective employers, that is).

njweatherdon
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
No Nov 23, 2014

No, I have an advanced degree in my main subject area of specialization, earned from a university where the source language is the only language of instruction.

I would probably need preparation to get such a certificate because the certificate would not be so geared towards the work I actually do. For example, my poor knowledge of French slang or traditional expressions does not prevent me from translating research methodologies.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a certificate of proficiency in your source language(s)?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search