Poll: In general, is your work stress-free?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 13:58
SITE STAFF
Jan 3, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, is your work stress-free?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:58
English to French
Not really Jan 3, 2015

If only for the 315 deadlines I registered in 2014.
Time-passing is stressful.

Philippe

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 21:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, to some extent Jan 3, 2015

Let’s say that at least I try my best, by not accepting very tight deadlines and by being very organized and methodic, but inevitably things happen…

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:58
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, to some extent Jan 3, 2015

However well you may have planned in advance, the inevitable will unexpectedly happen.

Translation content was more complex or involved, inconsistent or poorly written than you originally thought. And, don't forget unforeseen computer trouble, either. All this eats into valuable translation time, initiates that nasty stress cycle and you start hearing the clock ticking away as you try to make up for any mess that has happened.

Believe me, when karma hits you hard, 'it happens' as it did for me in in 2014. My advice? Expect the unexpected.

Wishing you all a Happy, Prosperous and Stress-free Year!

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes and No Jan 3, 2015

While I love what I do, but with each job, I live with an underlying angst that I won't be able to meet the deadline. I always make it, and I've been doing so for more than four decades, but I still can't trust myself. I think it must be the equivalent of the stage fright that some actors always have.

Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:58
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
an empty calendar or a full one? Jan 3, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

While I love what I do, but with each job, I live with an underlying angst that I won't be able to meet the deadline. I always make it, and I've been doing so for more than four decades, but I still can't trust myself. I think it must be the equivalent of the stage fright that some actors always have.

Could not agree more. It is hard to choose which is the worst nightmare: an empty calendar or a full one
Happy New Year and happy translating in 2015!

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Two important stress factors Jan 3, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

If you love what you do, stress is not a common factor in your work (and vice-versa).

1) If you love what you do, deadlines would be one of the two fators that may generate stress. So make sure you accept jobs you will be able to deliver on time.

2) Te second factor, IMO, would be payments not made in due time. This is the one factor that causes some stress in my professional life: Having to "remind" clients of due payments is not rare, though I have been receiving all my payments lately, with some delayed, but "reminders" usually lead to a positive response and deposit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, is your work stress-free?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search