Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Is translation your only profession/occupation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 15:19
SITE STAFF
Feb 5, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is translation your only profession/occupation?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 5, 2015

It accounts for 95% of my income, though I am also an author, blogger, and landscape designer. None of the others pay enough to cover my supplies, let along my time.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes and no Feb 5, 2015

I'm 99% a translator, editor and copywriter but I also moonlight as a mountain bike guide, hedgelayer and assassin.

Sadly my gender-bending career as a Canadian actress and model has been brought to an abrupt halt by a complaint to ProZ HQ.

The long-awaited result of this little experiment was, predictably, a 0% increase in job offers through ProZ.

Which proves conclusively that the world isn't as shallow as many feared and profile photos make no difference whatsoever.

Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the giggle, Chris! Feb 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I'm 99% a translator, editor and copywriter but I also moonlight as a mountain bike guide, hedgelayer and assassin.

Sadly my gender-bending career as a Canadian actress and model has been brought to an abrupt halt by a complaint to ProZ HQ.

icon_biggrin.gif

Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:19
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
nowadays, yes, but Feb 5, 2015

I'm (was) also an architect. I changed professions after 20 years of architectural practice, and I'm a happy translator now.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
So... Feb 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

The long-awaited result of this little experiment was, predictably, a 0% increase in job offers through ProZ.

Which proves conclusively that the world isn't as shallow as many feared and profile photos make no difference whatsoever.

... you are no longer a breakdancer and a professional wrestler!

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No ... Feb 5, 2015

I also have income from freelance journalism

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well I never... Feb 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I certainly harboured a growing dislike for the photo/persona, for reasons which remain largely unclear to me, possibly something I may have perceived in the tone of the comments posted... or the photo itself. I tend to dislike slick profile photos and will usually pass over any that strike me as being too glossy, professional-looking or posed.

Antonio Contreras  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, full time translator Feb 5, 2015

I have done previously different jobs and after a few years as in-house translator and PM in several translation companies, I work now as a full time freelance translator. 4 years as a freelancer so far and countingicon_smile.gif
Happy translating, you all guys!

[Editado a las 2015-02-05 11:20 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Mainly monolingual work for translators and agencies Feb 5, 2015

75% of my work nowadays is actually monolingual - (a) working with both writers and translators, native and non-native speakers of English, to help polish their texts; (b) localising from another variant into British English; (c) a bit of transcription just to make a welcome change.

Maybe they come within the "Yes" category; but I chose "No". However, I get most of my jobs from ProZ.com so probably I ticked the wrong box.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Feb 5, 2015

I have been a full-time professional translator for the last 30 years (first in-house, then freelancer) and, as many of us, I started part-time...

Willeke Barens  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other Feb 5, 2015

Translation is my ony real source of income, but I also am a Reiki Master. I love giving classes and support my students, which probably brings a good balance to my otherwise isolated existence as a freelance translator. But the money I get for that, is not more than symbolic amounts.

[Edited at 2015-02-05 13:52 GMT]

Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Feb 5, 2015

Most of my earnings comes from my job as a chemist.

But I'm looking forward to the day when I will be able to be a full-time translator.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
All translation related Feb 5, 2015

My primary source of income is translation. I also build websites (primarily for freelance translators and small businesses) and I now have my (human) translation app that I'm trying to sell. Aside from that, I have a YouTube channel which has made an incredible $6.50 last year, and I sold a handmade pokeball for $7.50.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've expanded... Feb 5, 2015

One of my clients asked if I'd like to write articles for her agency's blog, and I've been doing that for the last several months in addition to translating full time.

I really enjoy writing, and would love to have my own (food and cooking) blog if I had the time, but I don't. Translating is what keeps the bills paid and the wolf from the door.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is translation your only profession/occupation?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search