Poll: Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 01:23
SITE STAFF
Feb 16, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:23
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Never had the opportunity to try a team Feb 16, 2015

...but I don't dislike the idea at all.

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
In a team Feb 16, 2015

(Sorry, I made some graphic mistakes)

I generally prefer working in a team.
Maybe age, maybe life in general (I am widow, with a number of things to solve).
I do not really know.
But I surely need more sharing and the possibility of talking to people sometimes.
When I work in a team, I feel I am more engaged in the things I am doing.
Even in the number of pages to translate every day.

[Modificato alle 2015-02-16 09:27 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Both!? Feb 16, 2015

I worked for 20 years as in-house translator and we had not only an excellent working environment but we just made up a fun, friendly and enjoyable team. It was a pleasure working with them and of course sometimes I miss the camaraderie. Of course they are a phone call away, but it’s not the same thing!

Since I retired, I have been working mostly alone and I do like the fact that I have no interruptions and that I can organize my work as I please.

There’s just one caveat: if what is meant about working in a team is splitting work, I hated then and I still hate it now…

[Edited at 2015-02-16 14:19 GMT]

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alone again or... Feb 16, 2015

Although it can be fun to work with others for a change, and I sometimes collaborate with 2 or 3 colleagues on the odd occasion, I'm not keen on working on large projects that have been split between several translators, for obvious reasons.

And I don't really like the responsibility of having to form and coordinate a team myself, although I have done so when the need arises. "Hell is other people"....

PS: Perhaps this is why I sometimes end up posting kudoz queries that amount to no more than brainstorming, as I have nobody around to ask " how does this sound" or " does this look okay to you"...

[Edited at 2015-02-16 10:27 GMT]

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:23
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Alone Feb 16, 2015

Simply because I work best when I'm not being constantly or even slightly disturbed by others and am left to my own devices.

However, in the past, I did a few machine tool projects in tandem with a good mate of mine, all of which worked out well. Moral of the story? You need good rapport with those around you if you are going to work together on the same project.

Has this poll been sneekily manipulated to follow yesterday's 'introvert' poll?

Just checked - 4 'anonymous' polls on the trot. Are we translators so lacking in confidence that we don't have a voice?

Added last line + question

[Edited at 2015-02-17 08:29 GMT]

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is this a trick question? Feb 16, 2015

This question reminds me of a recent Big Bang Theory episode: at the vet's office, Raj's friends Leonard and Penny say they love pets. The vet asks them: do you have any pets? -No, they reply. The vet says: Good!

Anyhow, what is the purpose of this question, which has been asked on several occasions before. Is the pollster bored or in need of mental stimulation? Really, folks, some of these questions seem to come from the mind of a bored teenager...or an American dumb blonde.

I think that most people like to work in teams provided certain conditions apply. Some work is better achieved by an individual working alone, and not by a committee or a team. But I'm delving into the obvious here.

Currently, the Silicon Valley mentality stresses working in teams and in open offices. The same proponents of this type of work modality eschew, or try to get rid of, Human Resources expertise. The degree of immaturity thus displayed, in my view, is astounding and embarrasing to me as an American.

Mariel Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:23
English
+ ...
Considerations Feb 16, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Really, folks, some of these questions seem to come from the mind of a bored teenager...or an American dumb blonde.

Ouch! Okay, even though I slightly agree on the whole bored pollster thing, that reply might've been just a little too much for that anonymous pollster to handle.

Julian Holmes wrote:
You need good rapport with those around you if you are going to work together on the same project.

Yes, that's actually what I was thinking about. I would hardly call it a team, but I find it pleasant to work with trusted colleagues--matter of fact I am working with a very trusted one on most of my projects right now.

Obviously the file-split-among-several-randomly-selected-translators scenario isn't really on anyone's good side (and it shouldn't be, not even on the clients' who end up working like that), but I'm hoping that's not what the poll asker had in mind.

Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
this question reminds me a novel Feb 17, 2015

of Hans Fallada: Every man dies alone. (http://www.amazon.com/Every-Man-Dies-Alone-Novel/dp/1935554042)
Of course, depending on a particular project, we work together, but the nicest translations I've made alone. They are like my children. When you are pregnant, a lot of people can support you, but you have to deliver the baby by yourself.

[Módosítva: 2015-02-17 07:06 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:23
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same as Teresa Feb 17, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

I worked for 20 years as in-house translator and we had not only an excellent working environment but we just made up a fun, friendly and enjoyable team. It was a pleasure working with them and of course sometimes I miss the camaraderie. Of course they are a phone call away, but it’s not the same thing!

Since I retired, I have been working mostly alone and I do like the fact that I have no interruptions and that I can organize my work as I please.

There’s just one caveat: if what is meant about working in a team is splitting work, I hated then and I still hate it now…

[Edited at 2015-02-16 14:19 GMT]

I miss my in-house colleagues. Now sometimes my clients ask me to split up a job. If there's time to agree on the terminology in advance, it works better, but still, trying to make the text uniform is a big time-eater and it can be stressful.

It's really true that everyone has a different way of translating. I try not to judge the work of colleagues just because they don't tackle a problem the same way I would.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search