Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If a client was dissatisfied with your work, would you still charge the price agreed in advance?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
To continue my analogy Feb 25, 2015

If a veterinarian treats a pet and the pet dies as a result of the treatment (which happened to me once), obviously I wasn't satisfied with his work, but he still received his fee.

Another example is the dentist. My dentist cracked a tooth when he put on a crown, which meant that the crown was worthless because the tooth had to be pulled, but he billed me for the service and I paid him.

Why should translators be different from any other professionals? What do we have t
... See more
If a veterinarian treats a pet and the pet dies as a result of the treatment (which happened to me once), obviously I wasn't satisfied with his work, but he still received his fee.

Another example is the dentist. My dentist cracked a tooth when he put on a crown, which meant that the crown was worthless because the tooth had to be pulled, but he billed me for the service and I paid him.

Why should translators be different from any other professionals? What do we have to apologize for?

[Edited at 2015-02-25 08:05 GMT]
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:46
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends Mar 22, 2015

I wish to stress that we aren't a concierge industry, no matter what some colleagues seem to think.

Our job is defined by lending a skill (interpreters) or delivering a product of skilled work (translators).

It's not predicated on fulfilling a client's wishes or making a client feel satisfied.

Again, a concierge's job is predicated precisely and directly on just that. A translator's job is not. No matter what agencies may want you to think — as they need
... See more
I wish to stress that we aren't a concierge industry, no matter what some colleagues seem to think.

Our job is defined by lending a skill (interpreters) or delivering a product of skilled work (translators).

It's not predicated on fulfilling a client's wishes or making a client feel satisfied.

Again, a concierge's job is predicated precisely and directly on just that. A translator's job is not. No matter what agencies may want you to think — as they need to sink to quite a couple of lows in order to compete in the red ocean that is the agency market.

Client satisfaction is relevant only where subjective satisfaction is relevant to the job — for example creative translation of some sort of PR material and, to a lesser extent, any sort of translation that's more liberal than most. But that's a matter of working with the client until he's satisfied, not discounts.

On the other hand, you could give a discount to a client who was dissatisfied with something like a long wait till you called or wrote back, or exceeding the schedule or cost estimate or actually confusing the client's instruction. Then, yes, a discount would be appropriate, and it would serve to alleviate the client's feelings of dissatisfaction, but it would be based on a failure on your part and maybe some sort of compassionate reaction to the client's injured feelings, but not satisfaction per se.

Frankly, translators need to get over client satisfaction, in the sense I described.

Also, standard prices don't justify that type of thing anyway. Only when the client-translator relationship start resembling some sort of artistic patronage and the rates are really comfortable and then some, then maybe.

[Edited at 2015-03-22 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If a client was dissatisfied with your work, would you still charge the price agreed in advance?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »