Poll: What do you do when you have little or no work on hand?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:12
SITE STAFF
Apr 13, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do when you have little or no work on hand?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Apr 13, 2015

When I have little or no work on hand I always start by catching up with the paperwork and then I clean, cook, iron, listen to music, read a good book, walk my dog, shop, go to the cinema, I do whatever I feel like doing…

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other: I can't remember what it felt like Apr 13, 2015

I've been working long days non-stop since January. If I did have free time, I'd read more, do more exercise, see a movie or two, and work on the revision of my memoir, Finding My Invincible Summer. I also have a couple of other books on the back burner.

Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Housework Apr 13, 2015

I have an ironing bundle that never ends ....

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Besides panic ... Apr 13, 2015

I always start to get jittery when I don't have any work on the horizon but as my friends remind me, this happens from time to time. I usually polish my CV and start looking for new clients. I may do things around the house, cook better meals and shop for things that I don't normally have time to get.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 13, 2015

I probably take time off, but it rarely happens!

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:42
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I worry to death Apr 13, 2015

Even though I have been freelancing successfully for eight years now, I still worry to death if I don't receive any work related communication for more than a few days.

It happened only recently. Last week there was nothing and I had built reverse castles in the air that the world was coming to an end and my translation career is over, that I should be looking for an alternative career, I even started to seriously pore over the vacancy ads in the newspapers!

It turned out, though, the lean patch was mainly due to the extended Easter holidays in my main markets in the US, and work flow has picked up.

It just highlights the vulnerability that all freelancers face because they have no real control over work flow.

Huasha
China
Local time: 09:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Going outside Apr 13, 2015

It's spring, I'd rather go outside to feel the breeze of Chun Guniang - Miss Spring
Normally, I don't work on weekend.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
More fun Apr 14, 2015

When my schedule allows I have some more fun
I play with my kids, take my dogs for an extra walk, catch up with friends and family, go do some sailing (depending on the weather and time of day), see a film, theatre, exhibition, get some more reading or writing in, work on my website, do some of those DIY projects around the house that I want done by summer, cook a great meal for friends and family, etc. It's one of the things I love best about mobile email - I can go pretty much anywhere and still be reachable - so I'm not tied to my computer when I'm not working

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're not alone! Apr 14, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Even though I have been freelancing successfully for eight years now, I still worry to death if I don't receive any work related communication for more than a few days.

It happened only recently. Last week there was nothing and I had built reverse castles in the air that the world was coming to an end and my translation career is over, that I should be looking for an alternative career, I even started to seriously pore over the vacancy ads in the newspapers!

It turned out, though, the lean patch was mainly due to the extended Easter holidays in my main markets in the US, and work flow has picked up.

It just highlights the vulnerability that all freelancers face because they have no real control over work flow.

I've been translating full-time for over 30 years and I still panic when I have no work for a few days and then... fortunately the cycle starts again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when you have little or no work on hand?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search