Poll: How often do you take a break while working on a large project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 13:32
SITE STAFF
Aug 22, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you take a break while working on a large project?".

This poll was originally submitted by Milena Taylor. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 21:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other! Aug 22, 2015

It depends! I tend to have a break when I get stuck with a problem, then I get up to stretch my legs, take a coffee, do some chores, walk the dog…

Let's say that if the source text is interesting and well-written I might get so absorbed that I forget to take a break for some time (2/3 hours?). When I am absorbed in what I'm doing, I’ll activate an autopilot mode and, for instance, answer my youngest daughter questions without my mind registering the fact.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same as Teresa Aug 22, 2015

I take a break when I run into a problem. If all goes smoothly, I can work for hours.

During the day I have a lot of interruptions, so it averages out to about 60 minutes, but in the evenings and on weekends it's much longer - assuming I don't get stuck.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 22, 2015

I don't know... I don't usually keep track of these things... I stop when I feel the need, and that's about all I can say really.
I'm usually too busy working to bother about details such as this, and even administrative tasks are a nuisance that take up precious time which I'd much rather dedicate to my translations and revision work.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
same here Aug 22, 2015

neilmac wrote:

I don't know... I don't usually keep track of these things... I stop when I feel the need, and that's about all I can say really.
I'm usually too busy working to bother about details such as this, and even administrative tasks are a nuisance that take up precious time which I'd much rather dedicate to my translations and revision work.

Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
Member (2013)
English to Italian
Cigarette breaks Aug 22, 2015

I usually take cigarette breaks (ok, even coffee+cigarette) every 60 minutes or so. These are mainly 5 to 10 minutes breaks. At times, though, I also take breaks here and there, especially when the project is particularly long.

I also find that when I'm working on something boring/particularly challenging in terms of terminology, I tend to take many more breaks, which inevitably slows down the project.

When the difficulty lies more in style then in terminology (my favorite kind of job is more about getting style right than to focus on terms, actually) I tend to take less breaks - I find them distracting, and I kind of get lost if I take too many breaks. So these projects turn out to be also so much... healthier

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:32
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other N/A Aug 22, 2015

Some large projects take a long time - even four months or so.

There was no "Every other day" option.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never take breaks.... Aug 22, 2015

...because I am always interrupted.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:32
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I voted 1 hour, Aug 22, 2015

Considering that when I interrupt my work to check e-mails, answer KudoZ questions, etc., even if I stay in my desk, that's still an interruption. I also have to interrupt to make coffee, food, wash dishes, wash cloth, give some attention to my wife and kids, etc. This is very healthy, although it also means you will work form 10:00 am to midnight, but well...

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
You took the words out of my mouth Aug 22, 2015

neilmac wrote:

Taking a break depends on many things. I usually take a break like some have said, when I run into a problem or I have to research something and get side tracked by something interesting I´ve found while researching, the telephone rings, it's time for lunch, my granddaughter wants to play, time for our afternoon walk,and many things that interrput me. Like Neilmac, I do not keep track of these things.

[Edited at 2015-08-22 19:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you take a break while working on a large project?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search