Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use time tracking software?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:52
SITE STAFF
Sep 9, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use time tracking software?".

View the poll results »



 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Sep 9, 2015

I wonder if it would work for me as I’m sure I’ll keep forgetting it and I hate the idea of clocking in and clocking out. Anyway, all my translation work is charged per source word. For my revision work (billed by the hour), I always provide an estimate and I will inform my customer up-front if ever any "surprises" come up that might alter significantly my quote. To control the time spent, I just create a word processing document in the project folder and track my start and stop times manually. It works for me!

 

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Sep 9, 2015

I just guess on the basis of irritation levels, customer likeability, the price of children's shoes and actual time consumption, in that order.

After all, if I used time-tracking software, who would I bill for time spent on ProZ?


 

Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:52
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Time Tracking Is Embedded in my CAT Tool Sep 9, 2015

This feature is embedded in Fluency Now. While translating, you may consider it redundant; however, it turned out to be handy to know how much time you have spent on a certain file at the end of a project – you can check if certain areas of expertise take you more time than other.
You are able to switch this feature on and off.


 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:52
Hebrew to English
Sounds horrific. Sep 9, 2015

Very reminiscent of my 'office days'. I have no desire to re-create the very worst of those days.
Not for me.


 

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rarely Sep 9, 2015

Because, as Teresa fears, I have a tendency to forget to switch it on and off, and am also very exposed to interruption.

But Time Stamp, as recommended by a colleague here on Proz some eons ago, works fine.

[Edited at 2015-09-09 10:13 GMT]


 

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:52
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never heard of it Sep 9, 2015

I'd like to try it. I've had a few hourly jobs lately. I tend to cheat myself.

 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:52
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Precisely! Sep 9, 2015

Chris S wrote:
...

After all, if I used time-tracking software, who would I bill for time spent on ProZ?


And other not-immediately-profitable activities...

I would probably get a nasty shock!


 

Maria Dimitrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:52
Member (2011)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
I track my time manually Sep 9, 2015

I do track my time for each and every project, even though I usually don't get paid by the hour. However, I do this manually: I write the start time and end time on a note and when I finish with a project I fill in the total time in an excel file, where I write everything about my translation projects - client, volume, subject matter, total cost and time spent. It seems like a lot of stuff to write down, but actually it doesn't take so much time and makes it easier for me to invoice my clients at the end of the month.

I track my time so that I roughly know how much time a similar project would take and so that I can better organize my time and reject or request higher rates for projects taking more time than usual.

I tried using SDL's time tracker, but it didn't work well, I kept forgetting to punch in and out, so I stick to my time tracking "system".


 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:52
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Sep 9, 2015

Why should I? To add some pressure to my translator's life? No, thank you.

Time stamps are working very well when it comes to hourly paid work.icon_wink.gif


 

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
This is too funny! Sep 9, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I just guess on the basis of irritation levels, customer likeability, the price of children's shoes and actual time consumption, in that order.

After all, if I used time-tracking software, who would I bill for time spent on ProZ?


Thanks! You really put a smile on my face today icon_smile.gif


 

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:22
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
No Sep 9, 2015

There is no such need till the date.

 

TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
Yes, to calculate word rate to hourly rate Sep 9, 2015

Maria Dimitrova wrote:

I do track my time for each and every project, even though I usually don't get paid by the hour. However, I do this manually: I write the start time and end time on a note and when I finish with a project I fill in the total time in an excel file, where I write everything about my translation projects - client, volume, subject matter, total cost and time spent. It seems like a lot of stuff to write down, but actually it doesn't take so much time and makes it easier for me to invoice my clients at the end of the month.

I track my time so that I roughly know how much time a similar project would take and so that I can better organize my time and reject or request higher rates for projects taking more time than usual.

I tried using SDL's time tracker, but it didn't work well, I kept forgetting to punch in and out, so I stick to my time tracking "system".


 

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 9, 2015

I just like numbers and knowing how efficient I'm being.

 

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:52
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't even know any, Sep 9, 2015

The very rare jobs I ever had based on hours ended up being charged at an agreed price, because there is no way the client will be able to verify the hours you measured, unless you are working on-line in their platform, and even in that case, you can always leave it running, and go have a coffee. Paying a freelancer by the hour is not something very intelligent at all. Indeed, very few agencies use that method.

Ok, there are transcriptions, video translations, subtitling, etc. But these are still mainly cherged on the length of the recording, not of a time-measuring software.

Unless someone proves to me it's not absolutely useless, NO, THANKS. And, if someone does prove otherwise, NO THANKS, anyway.

[Edited at 2015-09-09 21:59 GMT]


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use time tracking software?

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search