Poll: Do you postpone your personal affairs because of sudden job offers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:57
SITE STAFF
Sep 16, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you postpone your personal affairs because of sudden job offers?".

This poll was originally submitted by ulzii. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:57
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes, Sep 16, 2015

I guess everyone is caught by surprise every now and then, with an urgent demand. Then, sometimes, there are things you can postpone. But there are things you cannot or do not wish to. In these cases, the priorities say "I'm sorry, but I cannot take that job", which I have also done many times.

Nothing, for example, is a priority over my children or my family. Nothing is a priority over a commitment I had made earlier and promised to accomplish. A client with an urgent demand must have an alternative translator if you are not available, and they usually do.

[Edited at 2015-09-16 08:38 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Between sometimes and quite often... Sep 16, 2015

First of all, most of my job offers are… sudden, though I should say that a few of my long-standing customers let me know quite ahead of time that they will be sending work.

That being said, I never postpone medical appointments or the like but I couldn’t say the same about some household chores like ironing (piles tend to get higher and higher)…

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Sep 16, 2015

I don't schedule my personal affairs during working hours.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Sep 16, 2015

If the "personal affairs" can be rescheduled without too much fuss, and I want to take the job, then yes.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Depends Sep 16, 2015

on which "personal affairs" these may be.

Chris, you are full time in an office if I remember rightly, I am my own boss at home, and if something does creep up that needs my attention and whatever else that I was planning to do can be put-off, then yes.

[Edited at 2015-09-16 09:47 GMT]

Antonio Fajardo  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never Sep 16, 2015

I became a freelancer so that the "choose your schedule" thing was an advantage and didn't turn into a "let your clients choose your schedule" thing. Try to send me a great project on Saturday morning to be delivered on Sunday evening and I will not read your e-mail or answer any phonecall until Monday morning.

In order to be a good professional, I need proper rest-and-recover time.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often Sep 16, 2015

My biggest sacrifice was when I dropped a required course in a certificate program I was pursuing; I never went back to finish the program. It was a prestigious new client and the money was such a windfall I couldn't turn it down. It was probably a good move. I know that money isn't everything, but that client has changed my lifestyle.

As for *postponing* my personal affairs, I do that every time I accept work. Almost all work is "sudden." I recently finished a stint working 180 days without a single break on weekends. Lots of personal affairs got postponed. I'm still trying to catch up on my non-business commitments.

Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
I did several times Sep 16, 2015

until 2010. Then I was diagnosed with cancer.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I might ... Sep 16, 2015

if the job and fee are enticing and the personal affairs not pressing. I usually suggest a time frame in which I can comfortably accommodate the job, many deadlines are flexible.

Actually, I do take care of most non-delay-able personal affairs in that 1-2 hour time window in the morning before my clients in central Europe and UK have even drunk their morning coffee. There is something to be said for your time zone making you the early bird.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Sep 16, 2015

Well, if my flight is to depart the next day, then I will surely not accept any offer job regardless of how good it is. The same applies to urgent, non-postponable private issues such as weddings or funerals. Other than this I've postponed my personal affairs many times.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
180 days around the world Sep 16, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

My biggest sacrifice was when I dropped a required course in a certificate program I was pursuing; I never went back to finish the program. It was a prestigious new client and the money was such a windfall I couldn't turn it down. It was probably a good move. I know that money isn't everything, but that client has changed my lifestyle.

As for *postponing* my personal affairs, I do that every time I accept work. Almost all work is "sudden." I recently finished a stint working 180 days without a single break on weekends. Lots of personal affairs got postponed. I'm still trying to catch up on my non-business commitments.

I wish I could get those 180-day assignments, Muriel! Then again, the last personal commitment I had was with my cat, who found a new home last December.

Those who claim not to be materialistic or for whom money isn't everything aren't living in the real world…I think.

Back to makin' mo' money! ♫

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Priorities Sep 16, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

I guess everyone is caught by surprise every now and then, with an urgent demand. Then, sometimes, there are things you can postpone. But there are things you cannot or do not wish to. In these cases, the priorities say "I'm sorry, but I cannot take that job", which I have also done many times.

Nothing, for example, is a priority over my children or my family. Nothing is a priority over a commitment I had made earlier and promised to accomplish. A client with an urgent demand must have an alternative translator if you are not available, and they usually do.

My “tocayo” is right. Personal affairs depend on our personal commitments.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I try to do both! Sep 17, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

I don't have family, so I can afford to give my work first priority, but sometimes there are things I feel I have to do and I end up stealing time from sleep, burning the candle at both ends.

[Edited at 2015-09-17 07:55 GMT]

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:57
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Everyone has commitments, even a 15 y.o. Sep 17, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

... [Edited at 2015-09-16 08:38 GMT]

I don't have family, so I can afford to give my work first priority, but sometimes there are things I feel I have to do and I end up stealing time from sleep, burning the candle at both ends.

[Edited at 2015-09-17 07:55 GMT]

Family was just an example. It could be any commitment, as long as you have assumed it before the new one or that you consider it more important and not postponable. All I meant is that refusing a job is not something extraordinary. It's a regular part of the professional's routine. We can't be mercenaries to the point of jeopardizing things because of money only. A person who thinks/acts like that would probably miss a big party or a show with the ticket in their hands because of a new urgent job. I'm not a slave of money.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you postpone your personal affairs because of sudden job offers?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search