Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually respond to job offers that request your "best rates"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Willeke Barens
Willeke Barens  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Oct 1, 2015

I delete those posts rightaway - have such bad experiences working for agencies that don't seem to care about quality, I don't want any more of those. And the ones I had, I've mostly "fired" anyway

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
The gig economy Oct 1, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I usually ignore them. But I like the idea of turning "best" around. Maybe next time I'll say: 'My best rate is xx - I have two lovely clients who are happy to pay it."

When they actually specify an insulting rate, sometimes I write and tell them *my* best rate. One of them actually phoned me and asked how he could get a piece of the action.

P.S. I went on Fiverr today for the first time and saw dozens of translators offering their services for USD$ 5.00.

[Edited at 2015-10-01 09:10 GMT]

I learned about Fiverr from a fellow graphic designer last year (I think). She was asking what we thought about outsourcing a logo design. Most of us said NO.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best/most competitive rates Oct 1, 2015

The phrases “best rates” and “competitive rates” are just marketing jargon, as you all know.

I usually respond with my standard rates, or higher, if I want to annoy the requester.

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:22
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Fiverr is a treasure trove Oct 1, 2015

I make prolific use of fiverr, albeit for other business than translation.

Typically you end up paying more than five dollars for any quality work, but it is a great source of skills.

That said, would I take the chance to outsource a translation job to anyone willing to take so little? No way!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:22
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Standard reply, standard rate Oct 2, 2015

I have a standard reply message for new/potential clients, and a standard rate I offer to all clients and potential clients. What the e-mail message says makes no difference whatsoever. Here is my price if you want quality. If you want to pay less, there are beginners that use Google Translator and post edit everywhere.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually respond to job offers that request your "best rates"?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »