Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Should beginning translators/interpreters charge lower rates?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:15
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Oct 4, 2015

They should do simple and short translations until they gain experience.

In other words, it should take years before you earn a full-time income.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I wish they didn't, but let's be realistic! Oct 5, 2015

Of course they have to, they do, and they will keep doing it until they have a decent portfolio to gradually raise their prices.
Why am I saying that? Because all of us have done exactly that when we were novices in the market. Of course there will always be show-offs who will say "I never did. I always charged X or more". And of course there will be those who will believe them.

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:15
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
No, they should not Oct 5, 2015

To me undercutting is a definite no-no.

Either beginners are confident they can deliver a professional service (therefore charge whatever rate allows them to live decently - and, as Nikki wrote, being slower is enough of a hindrance already) or they're not. To me there should be no middle ground.

Do beginner GPs charge less? Would you go see one if they did?!

Having said that, I feel that to a certain extent we all remain beginners all along.
For in
... See more
To me undercutting is a definite no-no.

Either beginners are confident they can deliver a professional service (therefore charge whatever rate allows them to live decently - and, as Nikki wrote, being slower is enough of a hindrance already) or they're not. To me there should be no middle ground.

Do beginner GPs charge less? Would you go see one if they did?!

Having said that, I feel that to a certain extent we all remain beginners all along.
For instance if I find myself in front of a newish topic that I feel I can handle through appropriate research, I might just charge my normal rate in order to get my foot in the door (although in theory I should charge more for the extra time, but I'll then view the extra time as a business investment).
If the topic is too new or too complex, I'll turn it down and possibly suggest someone else, I if can.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Should beginning translators/interpreters charge lower rates?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »