Poll: What is the current trend in terms of your rates?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 2, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the current trend in terms of your rates?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Steady/unchanged Nov 2, 2015

As I said before (another very similar poll) I raised my rates for my "regulars" 3/4 years ago and I intend to continue to serve my existing client base at current rates and apply higher rates to new clients only, depending on the subject-matter and other circumstances.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 2, 2015

The current state of affairs is "same old same old". I've managed to raise my basic rate by 12.5% for 2 clients this year, but with the rest I'm still plugging away at my pre-2008 rates. However, I'm not complaining or fretting about it. It is what it is.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:24
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
same/unchanged Nov 2, 2015

I change price if think to change otherwise I keep steady prices.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Local cost of living isn't changing Nov 2, 2015

I haven't noticed much change since I arrived here over three years ago. Inflation is very low. The only thing that changes is petrol: EUR 0.95 per litre on arrival, then up to a peak of EUR 1.15 befors dropping right down to EUR 0.80. But on a little island you don't use much.

So although my clients are scattered throughout the world, with their differing economies, my rates are static.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Inflation Nov 2, 2015

It depends on whether you mean nominal or real prices.

I raise my rates regularly, but only in line with inflation, so in real terms they are unchanged.

I'm kind of at the high end already so price increases beyond inflation would probably be pushing my luck.

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:54
English to Swedish
+ ...
upward Nov 3, 2015

I used a quite low rate until approx. 2010, then raised it about 10% and I'm now raising it another 10% this year.

It comes quite naturally as I'm overburden with work (get more work than I can handle) and also need to improve the general balance between work and income (better income, less work, better projects). I feel I have too much work and want to get less work, so raising the rates seems to be a reasonable way. As for my rates, my overall feeling is that I'm still at the lowe
... See more
I used a quite low rate until approx. 2010, then raised it about 10% and I'm now raising it another 10% this year.

It comes quite naturally as I'm overburden with work (get more work than I can handle) and also need to improve the general balance between work and income (better income, less work, better projects). I feel I have too much work and want to get less work, so raising the rates seems to be a reasonable way. As for my rates, my overall feeling is that I'm still at the lower end for my language combinations.

I only apply the new rate to new customers.

Once I have a steady flow of work at the new, higher rate, I may suggest the new rate to older clients. However, I will probably not insist on the new rate too much as I feel it's more important to maintain a good collaborative spirit with my clients, including respecting their economic conditions.

[Edited at 2015-11-03 07:55 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You need to be respected Nov 3, 2015

Thomas Johansson wrote:
I only apply the new rate to new customers.

Once I have a steady flow of work at the new, higher rate, I may suggest the new rate to older clients. However, I will probably not insist on the new rate too much as I feel it's more important to maintain a good collaborative spirit with my clients, including respecting their economic conditions.

That's certainly the way to raise rates - in with the new at higher rates. But I would be concerned about telling a regular client that there was going to be a rate rise and then caving in. You're bound to lose the client's respect that way. You'd be giving the message that you're not really bothered about the pay, so they'd feel free to delay their payments, push for discounts etc. In short, you'd be seen as weak.

When I'm raising rates for regular clients (which I do when all the newer ones are paying higher and I can afford to lose the older ones), I give a full month's notice. Then they have time to think about it. Some go quiet for a month or two - presumably trying out cheaper translators/editors; occasionally we part company, though not very often. Normally once they've had time to get used to it they give me just as much work.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends where Nov 4, 2015

In my country, I have to try and raise the prices, as the inflation is above 10% a year. In Europe and North America, the prices shall remain as they are for another year or so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the current trend in terms of your rates?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »