Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you have a degree in translation/interpreting?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:30
SITE STAFF
Nov 12, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a degree in translation/interpreting?".

View the poll results »



 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:30
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other: I have a postgraduate diploma Nov 12, 2015

I have the Specialist Language Diploma from the University of Southern Denmark.
It is the equivalent of one year's full-time study, normally taken at that time over two or three years as a part-time course.

The Dip Trans is also a postgraduate diploma, held by many professional translators.


 

Chien Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 10:30
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Yes, I do Nov 12, 2015

Yes, I chose to study translation and interpretation and attach to this profession professionally for more than 10 years now.

it is hard, but it is rewarding.


 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Nov 12, 2015

My degree is in economics.

 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2015

I have a degree in Russian and French, although my working pair is ES-EN. No specific official qualification as a translator, so I suppose I must be quite rubbish at it...

PS: But seriously, an ES-EN translator friend of mine took the exam in Madrid to get the qualification, but the paperwork was so demanding and there were so many hoops to jump through that I couldn't be bothered going through all that rigmarole myself. If anyone ever asks me about sworn/official translations, I can usually recommend someone who has the appropriate stamp etc to put on the document ( whether they actually translate it themselves or not).

[Edited at 2015-11-12 11:17 GMT]


 

Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:30
Member
French to Spanish
+ ...
Other Nov 12, 2015

I have a Certified (Sworn) Translator Diploma (having a degree in Spanish Philology too), after an exam held in Spain; this diploma awards an amount of credits equal to the credits awarded by a degree, while applying to work for the Spanish Government (via further examination).

 

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:30
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Nov 12, 2015

and after working with some translators in the past that have had a uni degree, etc., I have the impression that I have not missed much.

 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
The never-ending story Nov 12, 2015

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

I have a Certified (Sworn) Translator Diploma (having a degree in Spanish Philology too), after an exam held in Spain; this diploma awards an amount of credits equal to the credits awarded by a degree, while applying to work for the Spanish Government (via further examination).


That's what I mean. One would think that the Translation Diploma plus your degree in Sp. Phil. , not to mention your hands-on experience in translation, would be sufficient, but in Spain it seems like whatever qualification we have is never enough. To me, the whole concept of "oppositions" (competitive examinations for applicants to civil service/government posts) for people who are already have degrees and postgraduate qualifications just seems absurd and a slap in the face to people who have studied and worked for years to get those sought-after letters after their names.


 

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
If only this forum had a like button Nov 12, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

and after working with some translators in the past that have had a uni degree, etc., I have the impression that I have not missed much.


Exactly. Shocking sometimes.


 

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oh, come on you two Nov 12, 2015

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

and after working with some translators in the past that have had a uni degree, etc., I have the impression that I have not missed much.


Exactly. Shocking sometimes.



There are also plenty of translators without a degree who are terrible.

At the very least a degree means you've studied and been tested in basic translation/writing/proofreading techniques, unlike those coming from elsewhere.

In my experience of checking other translators' work, correcting translation errors is a whole lot easier and quicker than correcting bad writing, so I know who I'd rather work with - a good writer, with degree or not.


 

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2015

Do Messi and Neymar need a degree in football?

I think translation theory is one of the most overrated theories on Earth's history.


 

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Degrees in translation Nov 12, 2015

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Do Messi and Neymar need a degree in football?

I think translation theory is one of the most overrated theories on Earth's history.


Did you come to that conclusion after studying translation theories for years or you are just expressing a floating opinion?

I find your comparison between football players and translators the extreme of insouciant inadequacy.


 

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hurray! Nov 12, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

and after working with some translators in the past that have had a uni degree, etc., I have the impression that I have not missed much.


Exactly. Shocking sometimes.



There are also plenty of translators without a degree who are terrible.

At the very least a degree means you've studied and been tested in basic translation/writing/proofreading techniques, unlike those coming from elsewhere.

In my experience of checking other translators' work, correcting translation errors is a whole lot easier and quicker than correcting bad writing, so I know who I'd rather work with - a good writer, with degree or not.


I'm with Chris here 100%. Good writing, even with typos or other errors, is far easier to work with as a translator. There is no degree on the planet that will automatically make a bad writer into a good one.

And good writing skills begin with good reading and writing habits that began in childhood, not in college.


 

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Degrees II Nov 12, 2015

I remember similar polls in the last couple of years, which, on the upside, is a positive thing because having a degree is important as a credential.

On the other hand, I wish the poll had an option like Yes, don't ask me again.


icon_biggrin.gif


 

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well said Nov 12, 2015

Chien Nguyen wrote:

Yes, I chose to study translation and interpretation and attach to this profession professionally for more than 10 years now.

it is hard, but it is rewarding.


I remember my uncle asking me what is it that I was studying for the future: translation I said. He asked if it paid well. I don't know, but I like it.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a degree in translation/interpreting?

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search