https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/294622-poll_how_many_different_clients_do_you_work_for_on_a_regular_or_semi_regular_basis.html

Poll: How many different clients do you work for on a regular or semi-regular basis?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 14, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many different clients do you work for on a regular or semi-regular basis?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
8,3 Nov 14, 2015

On average, this year (January-October), I have worked with 8,3 clients on a regular basis. I'm proud to say that I have managed to keep some of these clients (3) since the very beginning (1986).

[Edited at 2015-11-14 13:18 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 14, 2015

It depends on whether we count "universtities" as one "client" or each one as an individual. I have one folder called "Universities" containing at least half a dozen, plus the odd research institute (I can't be bothered looking to see how many there actually are).
Apart from that, I have about 5-6 regular clients, although the amount of work from them varies. For example, the company I consider to be my best client sends me something to translate almost every day, I bill them at the end of
... See more
It depends on whether we count "universtities" as one "client" or each one as an individual. I have one folder called "Universities" containing at least half a dozen, plus the odd research institute (I can't be bothered looking to see how many there actually are).
Apart from that, I have about 5-6 regular clients, although the amount of work from them varies. For example, the company I consider to be my best client sends me something to translate almost every day, I bill them at the end of the month and they pay promptly. Others may only send me projects once or twice a year, depending on the year, but I still consider them regulars. If the volume of work I get from them is low, I may only bill them quarterly, while I might bill other clients on a project-by-project basis.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:48
Member (2006)
German to English
5 to 6 Nov 14, 2015

yet another anonymous poll - are the people behind these polls paying money for this information?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Anonymity Nov 14, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

yet another anonymous poll - are the people behind these polls paying money for this information?

Hahahah, good point. We are an unwitting focus group.

Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
English to Danish
+ ...
It was me.... Nov 14, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

I asked the question. I am just curious, because I work with 15-20 different translation agencies on a regular basis and wanted to know if that was the norm, if a norm exists. Just curious...

Best,
Alice

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:48
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
4 + 4 Nov 15, 2015

I currently have 4 regular clients (jobs every other week or so), and 4 semi-regular clients (jobs once a month or at least a few times during the year). Other than that I have several non-regular clients, which represent less than 20% of my income.

This is not good, however, as the loss of one regular client could represent a reduction of about 20% of my income. The ideal situation, IMO, is to have more of both kinds (regular/semi-regular), and keep the same average of non-regulars
... See more
I currently have 4 regular clients (jobs every other week or so), and 4 semi-regular clients (jobs once a month or at least a few times during the year). Other than that I have several non-regular clients, which represent less than 20% of my income.

This is not good, however, as the loss of one regular client could represent a reduction of about 20% of my income. The ideal situation, IMO, is to have more of both kinds (regular/semi-regular), and keep the same average of non-regulars. The loss of a client, something that is not uncommon among us, should stand below 10% of your total income, in order for this number to be considered a good one.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many different clients do you work for on a regular or semi-regular basis?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »