Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you like most about being a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:26
SITE STAFF
Nov 17, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you like most about being a freelance translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilak raj. View the poll results »

Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
German to English
+ ...
Other Nov 17, 2015

All of the above, more or less equally.

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Learning stuff Nov 17, 2015

Out and out winner.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Nov 17, 2015

All of the above, and another repeat poll

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Easy Nov 17, 2015

Being my own boss. And, of course, the groupies.

Now I know haters gonna hate, but why don't you serial moaners put your money where your mouth is and suggest some original and interesting polls right here in public?

I for one can think of lots of interesting topics for discussion, but none that are suited to the poll format, so I fully understand why ProZ HQ don't come up with 365 good polls a year.

And as for the conspiracy theories - I mean, come on, who apart from us could possibly care what we think?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 17, 2015

All of the above. Anyway, I am never comfortable about questions involving absolutes like " the most/ your favourite", as I find it a chore (and a waste of time if I'm busy, which is usually) having to weigh up and consider all the pros and cons.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 06:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other! Nov 17, 2015

All of the above, more or less equally, with the exception of "higher income" as I earned more in-house. Like Noni, I will add "learning stuff"...

Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Flexible schedule all the way Nov 17, 2015

I hate waking up early in the morning and anyway my brain is in energy saving mode (aka "Please, I'm begging your for mercy" mode) until about 10, so not having to follow strict office hours is just amazingicon_smile.gif

Also, flexibility of schedule means flexibility for beer o'clock lol

Edited to remove the second "also"....proof that it's not working, yeticon_biggrin.gif

[Edited at 2015-11-17 09:51 GMT]

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Almost everything & other Nov 17, 2015

So I voted other

But really almost everything listed there - right now - flexibility is foremost in my mind as yesterday my dog got a bone stuck in her throat and if I hadn't been here working from home and able to take her to the Vet and then the Clinic for emergency surgery - that might well have been her last bone.

I am not sure about income as I cannot honestly say what I'd be making as an employee v. freelancer. But considering the associated costs of working out of home, its probably swings and roundabouts as working from home I have no commuting costs, or costs of extra wear and tear on vehicle, no costs for lunches, working clothes, etc.

There are other things I like too, such as other freedoms I have e.g. to work in the way I choose, to pick and choose my own jobs and clients, that no-one ever asks me to do something I think unprofessional or unethical, no-one is every standing over my shoulder asking if I have done this or that yet. I am free from people checking their watches when I get to my computer, or checking out my clothes, or my car, or my hairstyle.

I also like that everyday is different, I deal with a lot of different subjects, so I come to learn a lot of things I wouldn't know otherwise (even if I can never discuss them). I also get to deal with various different types of people, from all over the world, and I like that too.

Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I said other Nov 17, 2015

Most of the choices offered, plus the possibility to get to know colleagues all over the world without moving from my computer. Awwwwww....

Now I must check the washing machine!

Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2008)
English to Russian
My point hasn't changed since the previous poll Nov 17, 2015

The best thing in the life of a freelancer is the ability to have a drink in the middle of the working day!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:26
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I'll drink to that Nov 17, 2015

Maxim Manzhosin wrote:

The best thing in the life of a freelancer is the ability to have a drink in the middle of the working day!

Now, here's a man who knows his priorities and vodka, hic! icon_biggrin.gif

And, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease, poll police, the fewer post removals the better. Just makes hum-drum polls all the less interesting.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Censorship Nov 17, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

And, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease, poll police, the fewer post removals the better. Just makes hum-drum polls all the less interesting.

The deleted posts weren't that exciting, just considered off-topic, namely a response to my suggestion about suggesting polls in response to your response to Sunday's poll which I didn't respond to because I'm not responsive at weekends, and as Complainant in Chief you might want to respond but would then also presumably be censored by the poll police.

Actually my thinking's coming round here. Perhaps what I like most about being a freelance translator is not having other people telling me what I can and cannot say...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you like most about being a freelance translator?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search