Poll: Have you ever attended any online training sessions or webinars?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 14:14
SITE STAFF
Nov 19, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever attended any online training sessions or webinars?".

This poll was originally submitted by Irène Guinez. View the poll results »

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
No, never Nov 19, 2015

They say you shouldn't knock things until you've tried them, but it's hard to see online training teaching us anything we couldn't find out for ourselves given that research is a key part of our job in the first place.

And the range of courses on ProZ doesn't exactly inspire, it's all "Tying your shoelaces for translators, part 6".

Christmas is looming, no wonder I'm grumpy.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:14
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Nov 19, 2015

I did paticipate on one SDL online session, but after a half an hour I left it as the things that they were showing were not much use, and if I really get stuck, the www helped me out aswell as the online tech service - a lot quicker.
I have taken part on in-person seminars that were / would have been useful if I had time to deepen myself in the content.
And I have to agree with Chris (except for the Christmas problem), research is the key part of our job.

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:14
Member (2012)
French to English
Yes Nov 19, 2015

Often, the information presented is fairly useful. However, I'm sometimes left feeling that the info could just as easily be conveyed in the form of a written article. People wouldn't be so willing to part with large amounts of cash for that, though.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 19, 2015

I've attended a few on various topics. Like most things in life, some were better than others. I think that as long as you choose wisely, they can be very beneficial. Of course there is plenty of information available online, but if I am registered on a particular course on a particular day, I will be more motivated to follow it through. It's also nice to be able to ask questions along the way, and an online session is much cheaper and more convenient for me than going to an actual event, which in my case would generally involve a day-trip to London. Some of the better ones I have attended have been very inspiring and I'm really glad I did them.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Nov 19, 2015

and most of them were worth my while

Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Other Nov 19, 2015

I bought this special package with access to the videos of the sessions, I don't know if this counts.

Some things were useful, others were not, and I don't think that I would pay the full price for a webinar.

But I will definitely attend "Tying your shoelaces for translators, part 6" next time.

Chie. I  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:14
Partial member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
resume Nov 19, 2015

As professional transcriptors many knows speech takes longer than reading,

so I always appreciate a resume of the course if any - but since digital format can be reproduced and distributed easily they prefer voicing, perhaps that is all.

One only needs 15 minutes to get what is said, but need to sit for 90 minutes
just to listen to the necessary part that only lasted 4 minutes. All secrets do not have a concrete form so it is luck and persistence than lecturers speaking rather lengthy course.

Consider more TV dramas and shows give out 5-minutes resume of the week nowadays
to get more people who are tired of checking several 50 minutes programs every week!

Chris S wrote:

it's hard to see online training teaching us anything we couldn't find out for ourselves given that research is a key part of our job in the first place.

TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree for the most part Nov 19, 2015

Chris S wrote:

it's hard to see online training teaching us anything we couldn't find out for ourselves given that research is a key part of our job in the first place.

And the range of courses on ProZ doesn't exactly inspire, it's all "Tying your shoelaces for translators, part 6".

Most webinars don't seem very inspiring and the videos included with the Proz.com membership were simply awful (not even a real person, just a computer reading the script!). Though I think that there are a few webinars that could be quite useful for the beginners.

If what you are looking for is inspiration, check out Konstantin Kisin’s webinars.

A couple of years ago I attended a few sessions with Konstantin during the Proz.com Virtual Conference. I was quite inspired, so I purchased some of his recorded webinars. They are inexpensive, well-prepared and very motivating. It's just the right mix: Konstantin's winning personality, a little bit of psychology, effective negotiation skills, lots of common knowledge, but it’s presented in such a way that all of a sudden you actually decide to use that information to your advantageicon_smile.gif One of the best investments I’ve ever made.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Personality and webinars Nov 19, 2015

That bit about Mr. Konstantin Kisin's webinars made me think: it's not just the content to be taught or shared but the winsome personality of the giver or instructor.

I've given speeches and taught classes throughout my life. Some of the topics are a great fit for my personality while other topics made me stumble, no matter how well prepared I was.

I believe some webinars prepared and given by translators are mostly another source of revenue for them. Yes, I'm being cynical, but I agree with Chris: a lot of the information given at a webinar can be sensibly obtained by reading a book or two.

And this statement doesn't apply only to webinars, online seminars or online workshops, but also to seminars at professional conferences. Those of us who have attended ATA conferences for years can say: “yes, I came away learning some practical gems from a handful of the classes I attended, but most seminars I don't need.”

That, and a couple of busy months translating have kept me from attending the Miami ATA conference this year.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:14
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I will when this changes Nov 20, 2015

Chris S wrote:

... it's hard to see online training teaching us anything we couldn't find out for ourselves given that research is a key part of our job in the first place.

I might be interested when this trend changes. But I've only seen it getting worse in the past years. When it varies, it's something like "Tying red shoe laces for translators" (now that you already learned how to tie your shoelaces.

TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Nov 21, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:
That bit about Mr. Konstantin Kisin's webinars made me think: it's not just the content to be taught or shared but the winsome personality of the giver or instructor.

I enjoyed Konstantin's webinars because I found them quite useful and also because he comes across as a very likeable person, genuinely interested in sharing his knowledge and tips and helping other translators. I'm definitely his fanicon_smile.gif

I just found this on youtube, so you can see for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ChB4NqZdc
(Interview with Konstantin, in which he shares some useful tips and talks about some of his webinars)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever attended any online training sessions or webinars?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search