Poll: How long have you been working as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:35
SITE STAFF
Nov 22, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long have you been working as a freelance translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Bruno Depascale. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
23 years Nov 22, 2015

Plus 22 years as an in-house translator.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:35
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
21 years Nov 22, 2015

Plus 20 years as an in-house translator. Almost the same as Muriel...

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:35
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
30+ Nov 22, 2015

And still going strong but a tad worn and frayed around the edges icon_smile.gif

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
How long part deux Nov 22, 2015

I've seen this poll before. I've been working for about 25 years.

A more interesting question: What were you doing before you turned translator?

Bruno Sterckeman  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
English to French
Life before turning translator Nov 22, 2015

Excellent point Mario. I studied and worked in agriculture, then decided to change direction. Obviously this previous professional experience influences the type of translation I am interested in doing.

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:35
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Nov 22, 2015

Hi everybody and thank you for your participation in this poll.
I posted this question for a simple fact: I see that many LSP post jobs here on proz with extremely low rates and a big number of translators offer their services at such rates.
So, I just wanted to know if such translators were beginners or not.
From what emerges from this poll, the beginners are less than 2,5% of the total.
Do you think this percentage reflects the real world or not? From my point of view such percentage should be bigger..

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree with you Nov 22, 2015

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Hi everybody and thank you for your participation in this poll.
I posted this question for a simple fact: I see that many LSP post jobs here on proz with extremely low rates and a big number of translators offer their services at such rates.
From what emerges from this poll, the beginners are less than 2,5% of the total.
Do you think this percentage reflects the real world or not? From my point of view such percentage should be bigger..

A simple answer might be that they don't necessarily answer the poll.

Another answer might be the old say:"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I bet we'll never know the real answer...

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
28 years and 28 to go Nov 22, 2015

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Bruno, you can be sure people who accept those rates are beginners. And there are lots of them, since there are lots of such offers all the time. We must live with it. After all, we did the same when we started, didn't we?

Mario Chavez wrote:
I've seen this poll before. I've been working for about 25 years.
A more interesting question: What were you doing before you turned translator?

I graduated in Accounting and never worked as such. I worked in-house as Admin Manager and Project Manager for 20 years, but always kept translation as my second job. As of 2002, the translations started to grow and take the place of the managing jobs. In 2008, I finally worked in-house as a translator/project manager, and ever since, I consider translation as my preferred profession. In 2013, I gave up managing, in-house jobs, bosses and working hours for good. Never want it back.

[Edited at 2015-11-22 22:30 GMT]

Kristina Cosumano  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:35
Member (2015)
German to English
Newbie here Nov 23, 2015

I'm one of those who have worked in professional translation for less than one year. By reading these fora, one learns quickly that settling for bottom prices is not the answer.

The actual answer, however, continues to elude.

Huasha
China
Local time: 11:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
8+ years Nov 23, 2015

Well, in university I studied linguistics and literature. After graduation, I worked in an airport bank for a few years, servicing foreign clients, those simple, good old days.
Then, more and more training courses to take, more and more meaningless yet strict regulations to follow, in the end, I quit and became a freelance translator.
Also, I should say I began at a low rate as at that time translation was just a means of keeping linguistic competence, but soon after I became a freelancer, I never accept low rates.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I worked as a secretary first Nov 23, 2015

I was working in an international organization and took the test for an internal promotion to a job as editor/translator. The senior translators gently trained me and turned me into a pro. By the time I went freelance, I already had well-paying clients, so I never had to struggle with the issue of low rates.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long have you been working as a freelance translator?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search