Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which method do you find most useful to get clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 27, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which method do you find most useful to get clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mario Chavez. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:35
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ profile Nov 27, 2015

Definitely. I have gotten the most leads from people who have found me on ProZ.

Word of mouth (not listed) comes second. Then comes my website. I landed my best client of all time (and still going strong) through my professional website.

Though I am on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter, none of them have given me any job leads.

[Edited at 2015-11-27 08:29 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Word of mouth Nov 27, 2015

I had to answer "other" but really it was "none of the above".

All of those options are completely useless in my experience (haven't tried Twitter but can't see many bankers caring what I had for lunch).

I find the best way of getting work is always to do a good job and wait for word of mouth.

I get all my new customers from people moving to another department/office/company or recommending me to colleagues and friends.

Build it and they will
... See more
I had to answer "other" but really it was "none of the above".

All of those options are completely useless in my experience (haven't tried Twitter but can't see many bankers caring what I had for lunch).

I find the best way of getting work is always to do a good job and wait for word of mouth.

I get all my new customers from people moving to another department/office/company or recommending me to colleagues and friends.

Build it and they will come.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 27, 2015

Used to be word of mouth, but as luck would have it, I don't have to try to "get" clients - in fact get rid of some of them would be more like it... I have more work than I can shake a stick at these days. Had to refuse a large, ongoing long-term project (tourism texts) the other day, and couldn't even find anyone else willing to take it on either.

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...

By far

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:35
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Proz profile Nov 27, 2015

Most of my new customers have found me through my Proz profile; others have come to me through word of mouth or my website. I’m on LinkedIn but I'm not really that active there. I’m not on Facebook and Twitter.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Hard work Nov 27, 2015

i.e. me writing e-mails to potential customers

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...

then Proz.com.

The advantages of word of mouth are low risk and repeat business practically guaranteed. Another is volume, which is a consideration not covered by number of hits.

One curious development in on-line business is those clients "cultivating" databases. They seem to keep you on for, say, the number of years of experience they judge kosher and check back later to see if you've survived the jungle.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:35
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Mixture Nov 27, 2015

I get quite a few inquiries from Proz but they generally fizzle out into thin air - some don't even bother to reply after I have contacted them Their loss!

By far the best method for me is to target specific companies after doing a search that focuses on particular niche services that I can offer. Once I start dealing with prospective people, I then direct them to my online profile in LinkedIn.

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...

The best is being recommended by existing customers, followed by membership in my professional association (BDÜ).

Cindy Presne
Cindy Presne  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Those "cultivated" databases Nov 27, 2015

Parrot wrote:

One curious development in on-line business is those clients "cultivating" databases. They seem to keep you on for, say, the number of years of experience they judge kosher and check back later to see if you've survived the jungle.

Exactly what is happening to me right now: now with four years of experience behind me, a few agencies that I had contacted four years ago and that have never sent me any inquiries are now getting back at me with regular offers.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 27, 2015

Indirectly my Proz.com profile, but it is largely word of mouth these days. A few good clients have found me through the CIoL Find a Linguist page.

I have been trying to fight them off lately...My regular clients have offered more work than I can take on!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My web site Nov 27, 2015

... word of mouth often - though not all the time - being a close second.

After I had entered my answer, I found this link on Facebook:
http://russiantranslator.pro/five-reasons-why-every-freelance-translator-needs-a-personal-website.html

PRESENCE on Proz is important, especially having WWAs, however IMO
... See more
... word of mouth often - though not all the time - being a close second.

After I had entered my answer, I found this link on Facebook:
http://russiantranslator.pro/five-reasons-why-every-freelance-translator-needs-a-personal-website.html

PRESENCE on Proz is important, especially having WWAs, however IMO it doesn't help much to get decently-paying clients. It is some kind of a catalyst. So I crammed my Proz profile with links to service-specific pages within my web site.

[Edited at 2015-11-27 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
proz.com Nov 27, 2015

Of my currently active customers (4+ jobs this year):

70% have contacted me through proz (some more than 10 years ago)
15% through my personal network (humans, not web pages)
15% through word of mouth (roaming PMs)

Philippe

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...

Proz.com is involved, because other translators on the site have recommended me. Thanks! And word of mouth off the site has also been very beneficial for me. A few direct contacts because of my Proz profile too, it is true, but they are not the biggest percentage.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which method do you find most useful to get clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »