Poll: How do you adapt your birthday to your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:18
SITE STAFF
Dec 19, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you adapt your birthday to your work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cristina Heraud-van Tol. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Dec 19, 2015

Birthdays are no big deal - not any more, at least.

If it's a workday, I work. If it's not, well, I don't work. Just like any regular lumberjack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo

Enjoy!

BTW, Xmas is a regular workday over here. So, nothing to get excited about. I might put my feet up but then I might knock back a bottle of Chardonnay around, say, lunchtime, just for the sheer hell of it. Hic! icon_smile.gif

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 10:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No big deal! Dec 19, 2015

I don't understand people who take their birthdays off work. Do your friends and family also take the day off? So, if my birthday falls on a weekday, I’ll celebrate it during the weekend.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
No biggie Dec 19, 2015

When you get to my age, birthdays seem less like something to celebrate than a reminder of how quickly time passes...

Georgia Morgan  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:18
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
No biggie here either Dec 19, 2015

Having said that, my birthday falls on a national holiday (Portuguese Revolution) so I do normally have a day off.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Her in Denmark people celebrate 'round' birthdays Dec 19, 2015

... as a pretext for a good party.

That usually means at the weekend, when visitors have time to come, though our neighbour did celebrate his 85th birthday on the day, a Thursday.

In the intervening five or ten years, you have a quiet celebration when there is time, with close family or just a few friends.

Our relatives are scattered, so we tend to have a gathering when we can, regardless of the date, and birthdays are very low-key. In fact I was extra busy this year. A client booked me for 10 000 words, but when the files came, there were more than 20 000 ... preferably by the same deadline! The agency negotiated a couple of extra days, but it was still a marathon.

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's the spirit! Dec 19, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

... as a pretext for a good party.

That usually means at the weekend, when visitors have time to come, though our neighbour did celebrate his 85th birthday on the day, a Thursday.

In the intervening five or ten years, you have a quiet celebration when there is time, with close family or just a few friends.

Our relatives are scattered, so we tend to have a gathering when we can, regardless of the date, and birthdays are very low-key. In fact I was extra busy this year. A client booked me for 10 000 words, but when the files came, there were more than 20 000 ... preferably by the same deadline! The agency negotiated a couple of extra days, but it was still a marathon.

People don't need a particular day to celebrate their birthday: they have the whole week, month and year to do so.

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Birthdays are important, no matter how old you are Dec 19, 2015

I don't know about your culture, but in Latin America, people celebrate the birthdays of very young and very old people. Most working people don't prepare for such celebrations, as if their birthday no longer mattered.

Birthdays can be awesome holidays. If yours falls on a Wednesday, then celebrate it the next Saturday, Sunday or whatever. Sure, you're not getting any younger, but you wouldn't be here without your birthday.

I remember one coworker, a Jehova's witness, very polite and professional. Our workplace had a wonderful tradition: whoever had a birthday had to go to the bakery and bring pastries for everyone!

One of our coworkers, Sara, was in charge of keeping track of everyone's birthdays. So, whether the week's birthday was on a Monday, Tuesday, etc., we would start the day with coffee, tea, etc. and a pastry from the lucky guy or gal whose birthday we were celebrating. It was a wonderfully bonding experience (especially needed for desk jockeys like us —I was still in college).

When this Jehova's witness refused to participate, nobody got offended or mad at him, but Sara explained: birthdays are important. I don't remember her wonderful words in full, but they made a powerful impression on me.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Work as usual Dec 19, 2015

I used to say one year older, now I say one year less.
We still don't forget the birthday cake though.

Philippe

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Special, indeed Dec 19, 2015

When I do happen to have a birthday, be assured that it is celebrated all day long, regardless of how much work might be waiting. This is not really a big problem, since my birthday comes around only every 4 years.icon_biggrin.gif.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
working like normal Dec 19, 2015

but this year my birthday was on a sunday, last year it was a saturday...so I was able to have my birthdays off and didn't accept any big weekend jobs so I could go out and party!

Huasha
China
Local time: 18:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
At least one day off Dec 20, 2015

Either the solar calendar birthday or the lunar calendar birthday, always one day off to enjoy, no computer, no work.
Or, it's just an excuse for enjoying something different

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
I don't adapt.... Dec 20, 2015

It's my birthday and if I have to work I work, anyway my kids go to school, my wife goes to work, my friends are at work.. so what's the point in taking and a day off and then working maybe when they are off?

Normal day for me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you adapt your birthday to your work?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search