Poll: Do you suffer from job insecurity?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:37
SITE STAFF
Dec 25, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you suffer from job insecurity?".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other N/A Dec 25, 2015

Only when someone pulls the plug on a big project that's been promised to you. icon_rolleyes.gif

Can't sense any cheer or festive spirit in today's poll. So, wishing you all a Merry Xmas and a prosperous 2016! icon_smile.gif

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 25, 2015

A certain degree of job insecurity is inherent to operating solo as a freelancer, one has to be VERY organized to minimize the inevitable cycles of feast and famine.

The merriest of Xmas to you all!

564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:37
Danish to English
+ ...
No insecurity whatsoever - I'm the boss! Dec 25, 2015

No risk that I'll sack myself, so in that sense, my 'job' is very secure.

Income insecurity is a different story altogether...

Wishing everybody here a prosperous New Year with just the right amount of work. icon_smile.gif

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I säid "No" Dec 25, 2015

But then I remembered that 13 years ago I was in the hospital and my client found out and pulled an 800,000 word project out from under me. It took me months to build my business back up because I had been working almost exclusively with that one client. It was a big lesson to me. Now I make sure that I have several strong clients going at the same time. I didn't have any down time in 2015.

Julian Holmes wrote:

Only when someone pulls the plug on a big project that's been promised to you. icon_rolleyes.gif

Can't sense any cheer or festive spirit in today's poll. So, wishing you all a Merry Xmas and a prosperous 2016! icon_smile.gif

Indeed. Merry Christmas to everyone and best wishes for the New Year.

[Edited at 2015-12-25 11:41 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Dec 25, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

And a Merry Christmas to you, too, Julian.icon_smile.gif

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other = Dec 25, 2015

I regularly get worried about having any health issue that would not allow me to work. The way things are going, it's perfect, but I cannot stop for any reason, or my Family would be in trouble.

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hmm. Anonymous poll. Dec 25, 2015

This may sound too philosophical but, what is job security? That depends on where you live and the labor and legal frameworks you live under.

In America, there's no such thing as job security in any way, shape or form, unless you are an elected official or a government employee. As it is often the case in these scenarios, you don't have to be a particularly good, efficient or even honest official or government employee to keep your job.

For an independent translator, untethered to unions, labor contracts or collective agreements, job insecurity is always a project away.

Secondly, the English phrase “to suffer from” is usually applied to some physical, emotional or psychological disturbance or condition. Of course, there's the figurative speech but it should be reserved for use in a larger context, not in a poll question.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Dec 25, 2015

Everyone is responsible for their own outcome, even if this does lead to rates being reduced to get work.

Fortunately I have not been in that situation and "touch wood", will not be in the future.

Same as everyone, Merry Christmas!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you suffer from job insecurity?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search