International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Poll: How is your business now, compared to December last year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:42
SITE STAFF
Dec 31, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How is your business now, compared to December last year?".

This poll was originally submitted by skyblue. View the poll results »

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About the same... Dec 31, 2015

2015 was a somewhat problematical year for me! I moved back to Lisbon from Brussels where I lived for 30 years and was less available than usual, meaning that I did refuse a lot of work from potential new clients (not from my regulars though). Let's see what 2016 will bring!

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the same Dec 31, 2015

Workwise, the scenario is more or less the same. However, I had a lot of unexpected expenses due to vehicle troubles in 2015 and one client is going to pay me late due to cash flow problems... Plus ça change...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!icon_smile.gif

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
My “business”? Dec 31, 2015

I don't have a business. I have a profession that offers me a variety of benefits, one of them being financial security. It's never been a job to pay the bills.

The moment you think of your profession (or career) as a business, the closer you are to swap it for any other activity that pays the bills and satisfies your ego at cocktail parties.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:42
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Much better Dec 31, 2015

Compared to last December, it has improved tremendously this month especially.icon_wink.gif

Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the same Dec 31, 2015

I did the math:

This year I made 8.6% less than last year, but I took a month off for surgery, so I have a good excuse.

I've been working at translation more years than I care to admit; I'm ready to slow down a little.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:42
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
December... Jan 3, 2016

December is certainly not a typical month for this kind of "measuring". Any other month would allow better metrics.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How is your business now, compared to December last year?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search