Poll: Do you have to adjust your workload according to school holidays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 13:00
SITE STAFF
Jan 1, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have to adjust your workload according to school holidays?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but ... Jan 1, 2016

I do adjust my work when friends come to visit on *their* holidays. People love to visit San Diego.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 21:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 1, 2016

My children’s school holidays are long gone (I must say that my eldest granddaughter is starting her Master’s degree program this year…), but I manage and adapt my workload to other circumstances… That’s the beauty of being a freelancer! Happy 2016 to all of you!

[Edited at 2016-01-01 11:12 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:00
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 1, 2016

I don't have to , but I do sometimes allow for extra work while colleagues are taking time off!

I was not translating when my son was little, and for some years I was tied to the industrial holiday because that was when my husband had time off.

Especially when my son was little, and my job involved unsocial hours and weekend work, colleagues were kind about letting me have birthdays and important weekends off, and of course I covered for them when I could.

Many relatives have jobs that involve work outside regular office and factory hours, so being flexible is just part of my upbringing. Farmers, medics, clergy and social workers all have to work when others have time off.

Then again, one of the perks of freelancing is that you get to take time off when everything is less crowded and the season is right, and when it suits you.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 1, 2016

Although I try to do as much as I can during school time it isn't always possible. School holidays usually mean more late nights and early mornings as I attempt to squeeze in extra activities. By the end of the holidays I'm always completely exhausted and in need of a holiday! I'm hoping that, as the children get older, they'll be able to amuse themselves for longer periods and I'll be able to organise my work and family time more efficiently.

Texte Style
Local time: 22:00
French to English
pfff Jan 1, 2016

such a predictable poll! parents of young children will answer yes, to varying degrees depending on their breadwinner status and age of children, and the rest will answer no, or not any more, or not yet. what's the point, apart from perhaps gleaning some free info from a handful of translators with nothing better to do on a bank holiday?

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
What are school holidays? Jan 1, 2016

I'm not a parent in any way, shape or form, and I feel “offended” that this poll is excluding my “awesome opinion.”

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 3, 2016

The volume is obviously reduced, and I have a lot of additional spare time, but no adjustments are necessary. I just have to sit and read my e-mails all the time, hoping for new Jobs. My routine is the same, though, since my "kids" are all grown up, and I'm usually not part of their holiday plans, anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have to adjust your workload according to school holidays?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search