Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Does the weather affect your work performance?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 8, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does the weather affect your work performance?".

This poll was originally submitted by Kristina Radziulyte. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 8, 2016

I am less distracted when the weather is nasty outside. I accomplish a lot more.

I live in a beautiful place with a mostly ideal climate, which is constantly calling me to be outdoors.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not really! Jan 8, 2016

I’m much more sensitive to hot weather (nothing that a good AC system can’t cure), and I’m likely to be more motivated when like today in “sunny” Lisbon outside the day is cold, gray, wet, gloomy...

Bettina Dauch
Bettina Dauch  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
French to German
+ ...
Yes, to a certain extent Jan 8, 2016

Normally it doesn't affect me, as long as it doesn't have any impact on the inside temperature. So this time of year (northern hemisphere) it's not a problem, but in the summer it can get excessively hot here and I don't have air condition...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:19
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Jan 8, 2016

More, of a seasonal thing, actually.

If there is a meter of snow piled up on the stairs outside between me and the office, then it will take at least 30 minutes to clear a path. Unfortunately, it's too narrow to ski down and negotiating the sharp bend at the bottom would be impossible for even the most proficient of skiers.
I then have to knock the icicles off my two desktop PCs and warm up the office which takes at least an hour or so to reach a comfortable working temperatur
... See more
More, of a seasonal thing, actually.

If there is a meter of snow piled up on the stairs outside between me and the office, then it will take at least 30 minutes to clear a path. Unfortunately, it's too narrow to ski down and negotiating the sharp bend at the bottom would be impossible for even the most proficient of skiers.
I then have to knock the icicles off my two desktop PCs and warm up the office which takes at least an hour or so to reach a comfortable working temperature.

Otherwise, around April during the rutting season can be very emotional and distracting - but I do get to have a full social calendar.
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 8, 2016

It's the opposite for me - when it's dark and rainy outside I just want to go back to bed and hibernate!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jan 8, 2016

Whether it's nice or nasty outside doesn't play a role in my work performance.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Only if it's very hot, Jan 8, 2016

when it can slow you down a bit. Purely a physical (not a psychological) thing.

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Nasty weather rocks! Jan 8, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I am less distracted when the weather is nasty outside. I accomplish a lot more.

So very true!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 8, 2016

The weather doesn't affect me much personally. However, in the area where I live, sudden thunderstorms and torrential rain can occasionally knock out my Wi-Fi connection, which obviously affects my ability to send and receive emails or research terminology et cetera online. Last New Year, high winds bent my Wi-Fi antenna out of shape when I was away, but I managed to get it fixed within 24-hours.

A few years ago I lived at a slightly lower altitude and the whole house was flooded ou
... See more
The weather doesn't affect me much personally. However, in the area where I live, sudden thunderstorms and torrential rain can occasionally knock out my Wi-Fi connection, which obviously affects my ability to send and receive emails or research terminology et cetera online. Last New Year, high winds bent my Wi-Fi antenna out of shape when I was away, but I managed to get it fixed within 24-hours.

A few years ago I lived at a slightly lower altitude and the whole house was flooded out one time, but I'm now higher up in the hills, so flooding is less of an issue.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhat Jan 8, 2016

I tend to suffer from "summeritis". It's not an officially recognized malady, but I'm sure it exists. Once July and August roll around, it's a lot bigger effort to sit in front of the computer inside and it's too hot to work outside.

The best solution for treating it is like treating a cold: just wait for it to pass and let things return to normal.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
Yes Jan 8, 2016

It doesn't just affect me, it affects my machines as well. The current dusty Harmattan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmattan) we have going on is murder on my old laptop and desktop. I'd better start shopping for replacements.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
When it's vile outside ... Jan 8, 2016

Like many here, when the weather's vile I'm more likely to work harder than when it's fine and I'm tempted to tend the garden or go for a cliff walk.
Oops, sorry Cornwall Tourist Board. Of course, the weather is never vile in Cornwall ...

[Edited at 2016-01-08 12:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-08 12:24 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:19
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
No Jan 8, 2016

When the sun is shining, especially a crisp, clear sun when the temperature is below -20° outdoors, I open the window shades to let it shine in and work.

When there's a couple of feet of snow dumping (like last week), I close the window shades and work.

In summer when its 30°+ and 95% humidity outdoors, I close everything and turn the AC on, and work.

I have a good battery backup, so the very occasional blackout from a storm or high wind has never interru
... See more
When the sun is shining, especially a crisp, clear sun when the temperature is below -20° outdoors, I open the window shades to let it shine in and work.

When there's a couple of feet of snow dumping (like last week), I close the window shades and work.

In summer when its 30°+ and 95% humidity outdoors, I close everything and turn the AC on, and work.

I have a good battery backup, so the very occasional blackout from a storm or high wind has never interrupted my schedule.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Window curtains are magic Jan 8, 2016

I don't like sunny days. I prefer rainy and cloudy weather. The rainier, the better!

The only time weather affects my performance is high pollen count. I have allergies and my nose blocks up despite over-the-counter allergy medications and Flucasone nasal spray (by prescription). In such conditions I lose sleep, which affects my performance the next day, and not just while I work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does the weather affect your work performance?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »