Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever studied to improve your typing skills?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 13, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever studied to improve your typing skills?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 13, 2016

I never learned to type "properly", but I type fast. I learned to type the hard way, by myself, on an old-fashioned, heavy, slow and very noisy typewriter in the 1960s. I don't use all my fingers to type. My speed came purely from having to type every day.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:23
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not by choice ... Jan 13, 2016

I learned touch typing in school - had to - it was one of these weekly time-filler lessons on a Wednesday afternoon. I remember how much I hated it and what a waste of time I thought it - but it was better than the alternatives which were needlework and cooking. I sat there week after week banging on the keys and muttering to myself, but I did learn.

By the time I went to university we were expected to turn in typed essays and I couldn't understand why it took everyone else so long
... See more
I learned touch typing in school - had to - it was one of these weekly time-filler lessons on a Wednesday afternoon. I remember how much I hated it and what a waste of time I thought it - but it was better than the alternatives which were needlework and cooking. I sat there week after week banging on the keys and muttering to myself, but I did learn.

By the time I went to university we were expected to turn in typed essays and I couldn't understand why it took everyone else so long. It's a skill that's been indispensable in every job I've had, turns out I was very very wrong.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Would you believe, I was 11? Jan 13, 2016

One of a working mom's ideas of a summer programme.

I cheated - couldn't help looking at the keyboard. But on the whole I passed. The following summers were more entertaining.

The classroom monitor got a lot of raised eyebrows - everyone else in the class was in college. "She's the librarian's daughter", she'd explain.

Rosa Plana Castillón
Rosa Plana Castillón
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was 11 too... Jan 13, 2016

... and I also learned over a summer. I remember the big and noisy typewriter, the paragraphs of Don Quixote that we typed over and over again, and how my little finger hurt because it wasn't strong enough for those keys, old and hard. But I remember it fondly and would do it all over again!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Many times... Jan 13, 2016

At college, several night classes, practice at home.

It is not a complete waste of time. I probably type better than I would otherwise, but I simply do not seem to have the manual coordination to type fast or without typos.
However, I take pride in my handwriting - with either hand, best with the left.

Just be thankful I don't try to play the piano!!!! I can't even play Chopsticks.

... See more
At college, several night classes, practice at home.

It is not a complete waste of time. I probably type better than I would otherwise, but I simply do not seem to have the manual coordination to type fast or without typos.
However, I take pride in my handwriting - with either hand, best with the left.

Just be thankful I don't try to play the piano!!!! I can't even play Chopsticks.

I was in fact advised to train as a librarian, because then I could get other people to do the typing for me most of the time!

[Edited at 2016-01-13 10:36 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 13, 2016

Typing is just so last century

Voice recognition is the way to go

(Backed up with a bit of two-finger typing here and there, natch)

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
In 1977 Jan 13, 2016

I learned to touch type while at university.
What an investment! Probably worth £50 a day now.

In 1977, I hired an electric typewriter to bang out my undergraduate long essay. I now miss typewriters like I miss migraine.

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Self-taught Jan 13, 2016

I've learned to type reasonably well, though speed doesn't matter to me that much as I can't see the need to type faster than I can think.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Special Offer Jan 13, 2016

When I was at Uni I found a half-price special offer in the newspaper for a Sight&Sound typing course.
Best investment I ever made!

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Sure Jan 13, 2016

Many years before I became a translator. I was using a keyboard all day long already back then and figured out that learning to actually use it was the only way to go. Very tedious exercises back then, but so very time-saving in the long run.
As for voice recognition, I may reconsider, but right now I feel that hearing my own voice all day long would drive me nuts.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Self-taught Jan 13, 2016

...but I did follow a method. My mother brought home her homework for the typing course that she was taking - our family business was growing and more "professional" admin skills were called for - and I decided to have a go myself. I think I was about thirteen. Our machine was a 1950s Olivetti.

No looking back really - as in no looking! But boy was I thrilled when I had a go on my first Brother which would allow you to correct without whiteout.

What I don't understand
... See more
...but I did follow a method. My mother brought home her homework for the typing course that she was taking - our family business was growing and more "professional" admin skills were called for - and I decided to have a go myself. I think I was about thirteen. Our machine was a 1950s Olivetti.

No looking back really - as in no looking! But boy was I thrilled when I had a go on my first Brother which would allow you to correct without whiteout.

What I don't understand is why, in schools where children are expected to use a keyboard, they do not teach keyboard skills, but instead say that the children should attend out-of-school classes to acquire these skills. Fortunately I know a few programmes that they have fun with, and we're getting there.

Edited to add a sentence.

[Edited at 2016-01-13 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TyperShark Jan 13, 2016

I've been using computers and keyboards since I was a child and I've always loved typing and hated writing by hand. In fact, my handwriting is almost illegible now that I do everything on the computer.
I learned to type pretty fast since I was young, but not properly. It wasn't until I came across TyperShark (a computer game to develop typing skills) that I consciously began to learn how to use all fingers and not look at the keyboard. I found it was not so hard, maybe because I have some
... See more
I've been using computers and keyboards since I was a child and I've always loved typing and hated writing by hand. In fact, my handwriting is almost illegible now that I do everything on the computer.
I learned to type pretty fast since I was young, but not properly. It wasn't until I came across TyperShark (a computer game to develop typing skills) that I consciously began to learn how to use all fingers and not look at the keyboard. I found it was not so hard, maybe because I have some finger skills from playing the guitar.
Now I type properly (sometimes not so accurately, but I'm a pretty decent typist).
Maybe I'm a bit backward, but I find voice recognition too painstaking.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Jan 13, 2016

long before I became a translator, and it is one of those skills that makes life easier.

and by the way, voice recognition is not available in my language.

[Edited at 2016-01-13 14:47 GMT]

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 13, 2016

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

long before I became a translator, and it is one of those skills that makes life easier.

Since so much of life is computer related I cannot understand why typing is not a standard subject in schools, though I expect with the advance of phone, tablet and phablet use it is becoming less central.

I was lucky enough to be sent on an English typing course by one of my earliest employers. I subsequently adapted the method to teach myself to touch type in Russian, too. I have no need of Cyrillic markers on my keyboard and when I was living in Moscow in the late 1990s I found I was a faster typist in Russian than many Russian office staff ...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever studied to improve your typing skills?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »