https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/297091-poll_have_you_ever_been_a_victim_of_professional_identity_theft_fraud.html

Poll: Have you ever been a victim of professional identity theft/fraud?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 18, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever been a victim of professional identity theft/fraud?".

This poll was originally submitted by Charlotte Moore. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 23:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 18, 2016

Not as far as I know, but nowadays you can never be sure. At least one other person has the same pseudonym as me (an anagram of my name) on at least one online site, but it might be just coincidence.

[Edited at 2016-01-18 09:04 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 18, 2016

As far as I know, I haven't been a victim yet, but the risk is there even if I have taken some precautions.

When I spot a fake CV (I have received a few over the years) I always contact the victim (Proz members) to inform him/her.

Sylvie Pelissier
Sylvie Pelissier  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
Other Jan 18, 2016

Who knows ?!

José Sebastião Ribeiro
José Sebastião Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:55
English to Portuguese
No Jan 18, 2016

No, but since I've started as a freelancer in September 2015, I still want to broaden my costumer network and to do so I have to be more visible, which means somebody could easily steal my CV. As soon I'm happy with my number of clients, I will not show my CV and personal information for no reason.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Jan 18, 2016

I don't know, but I saw my name on a list on the Internet of people who has gotten their CVs stolen. Who put me there and why I do not know.

On the same list - but as one of the offenders - I saw the name of one of my good friends and colleagues in Finland who I know for sure would never steal anybody's CV and also does not have any reason to.

So I don't know what to think. But I removed my CV from my profile on Proz.com and one other portal.

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jan 18, 2016

This guy under the name of Alberto Verdone copied my CV from my Proz profile, replaced my name with his and forwarded the CV to a number of agencies. An American agency that received this bogus CV was kind enough to notify me about this identity theft (they googled the book translations that Verdone claimed to have made and noticed that they were in fact authored by Enrico Zoffoli). The fun part is that I actually got a new client thanks to Verdone. One day I received a phone call from a PM of a... See more
This guy under the name of Alberto Verdone copied my CV from my Proz profile, replaced my name with his and forwarded the CV to a number of agencies. An American agency that received this bogus CV was kind enough to notify me about this identity theft (they googled the book translations that Verdone claimed to have made and noticed that they were in fact authored by Enrico Zoffoli). The fun part is that I actually got a new client thanks to Verdone. One day I received a phone call from a PM of a German agency, to which I had never applied, who said something like: “Mr Verdone, we will be happy to consider your application provided you send us a letter of reference” (yes, Verdone put his own email address but did not change the telephone number). I immediately recalled the identity theft mentioned by the American agency and explained the issue to the PM, who was quite amused. Eventually I did provide them with a letter of recommendation, since the agency looked actually good. Occasionally I still work for them.

[Edited at 2016-01-18 13:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-18 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Schulz
Anne Schulz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Other Jan 18, 2016

Not knowingly, but I, as many ProZians, may have been victim unknowingly, based on this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/277712-another_unauthorised_directory_listing_lingvopointcom.html

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Kind of Jan 18, 2016

For a while my identity was stolen by a Canadian actress with a warped sense of humour

Luckily an upstanding member of the community informed the Prolice who soon put an end to it

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... once ... as far as I know Jan 18, 2016

I found out as I was contacted by an agency who informed me they had received an application from someone using my name and CV and an email address with just one letter difference from my actual email address. I reported it everywhere I could think of and never heard anything else about it.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:55
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Exactly, Neilmac Jan 18, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Not as far as I know, but nowadays you can never be sure. At least one other person has the same pseudonym as me (an anagram of my name) on at least one online site, but it might be just coincidence.

[Edited at 2016-01-18 09:04 GMT]

It's hard to be sure. But I can tell you I never suffered any consequences so far.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Victim of identity theft/fraud Jan 18, 2016

Sure, it happened to me twice. I don't know if the criminals were professionals or not, however. What's up with the question?

The first time happened in 2000. Someone grabbed my SS# and started opening store accounts in different cities in the U.S. I know this gang was no bunch of professional thieves because they all opened the bogus accounts on the same day. I was alerted of the fact a couple of months later when I received a call from a collection agency. I immediately cal
... See more
Sure, it happened to me twice. I don't know if the criminals were professionals or not, however. What's up with the question?

The first time happened in 2000. Someone grabbed my SS# and started opening store accounts in different cities in the U.S. I know this gang was no bunch of professional thieves because they all opened the bogus accounts on the same day. I was alerted of the fact a couple of months later when I received a call from a collection agency. I immediately called the local police (a bunch of incompetent individuals) and each of the stores where the bogus accounts were opened.

Why were the local police incompetent? On one hand, the stores (like J.C. Penny and Home Depot, in America) already have a fraud department in charge of investigating and resolving bogus accounts. On the other hand, the local Indianapolis police were not so well prepared and insisted (quite stupidly) that I open a case in the different cities the bogus accounts were opened. I didn't call them incompetent in their faces but I made it quite clear at the time.

The second time was in 2006, at a GameStop store in California, where I purchased a videogame device for a friend's son. The store clerk apparently copied my credit card number and used it. I took care of that problem but I didn't involve the police: I simply cancelled the card and notified my bank, who invalidated the bogus charges.

The question for this poll would have been more useful if one of the options would have involved what a victim did to protect herself. Otherwise, it's watercooler conversation.
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
one CV landed here Jan 19, 2016

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

I don't know, but I saw my name on a list on the Internet of people who has gotten their CVs stolen. Who put me there and why I do not know.

On the same list - but as one of the offenders - I saw the name of one of my good friends and colleagues in Finland who I know for sure would never steal anybody's CV and also does not have any reason to.

So I don't know what to think. But I removed my CV from my profile on Proz.com and one other portal.

I was the one who received your CV (but it was, if I remember, more than a year, maybe 1,5 years ago) but when I checked the facts I revealed your real name and found you on the ProZ.com. Usually I receive fake CVs minimum once a month. Follow the Twitter account - they collect and publish them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been a victim of professional identity theft/fraud?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »