Poll: Are you an active member of linguistic exchange fora or e-lists?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 28, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you an active member of linguistic exchange fora or e-lists?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 28, 2016

I'm not really sure what is meant by "linguistic exchange fora". I occasionally read or post in FB groups like TTNS*... but that's about as far as it goes, and "linguistic exchange fora" seems a rather grand way to describe them.

* Things Translators Never Say, a facebook thing.

[Edited at 2016-01-28 09:30 GMT]

PS: Dear colleagues, I'd just like to add that I am really glad it's not just me

... See more
I'm not really sure what is meant by "linguistic exchange fora". I occasionally read or post in FB groups like TTNS*... but that's about as far as it goes, and "linguistic exchange fora" seems a rather grand way to describe them.

* Things Translators Never Say, a facebook thing.

[Edited at 2016-01-28 09:30 GMT]

PS: Dear colleagues, I'd just like to add that I am really glad it's not just me

[Edited at 2016-01-28 10:27 GMT]
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
質問の意味が分かりません Jan 28, 2016

If you read this and don't understand Japanese, you're probably scratching your head right now. Let me put you out of your misery. This means "I don't understand the meaning of the question."
I hope the poster of this poll can enlighten us as to what it means so that we can select the right option.

BTW, I did Google it and if it means 'language exchange sites for conversation exchange,' then I'm even
... See more
If you read this and don't understand Japanese, you're probably scratching your head right now. Let me put you out of your misery. This means "I don't understand the meaning of the question."
I hope the poster of this poll can enlighten us as to what it means so that we can select the right option.

BTW, I did Google it and if it means 'language exchange sites for conversation exchange,' then I'm even more perplexed since this is site for translators. Why post a question that has nothing to do with translation?

“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Not really Jan 28, 2016

I suppose the closest would be the polls right here

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Se eu conseguisse perceber a pergunta... Jan 28, 2016

Following Julian's example (are we both starting a"linguistic exchange fora"?), this means in Portuguese: "If only I could understand what this poll is about..."

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
NO Jan 28, 2016

I voted NO since if I don't even know what the question asks, it means I do not participate.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:37
French to English
Not knowingly Jan 28, 2016

It sounds intriguing, though, and might be something I would like to do once I've found out what it is.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, ProZ. Jan 28, 2016

If you meant something else, I'm sorry but you did a lousy job expressing yourself.

[Edited at 2016-01-28 13:58 GMT]

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Yes Jan 28, 2016

I understood the poll as: participate in fora about languages.

But I may be wrong! Since the poll was suggested by "anonymous", I fear we never get an explanation.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Before Proz Jan 28, 2016

I used to go to the forum on the Word Reference site, but then I discovered Proz !

[Edited at 2016-01-28 16:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-28 16:12 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Entertainment for Thursday Jan 28, 2016

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

I understood the poll as: participate in fora about languages.

But I may be wrong! Since the poll was suggested by "anonymous", I fear we never get an explanation.

While I'm rocking a new turntable to the likes of Jonathan Butler (on vinyl!), I read the answers my colleagues gave. They're all right!

If I didn't now any better, I'd say Noah Chomsky wrote the question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you an active member of linguistic exchange fora or e-lists?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »