Poll: Are you currently learning a new language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 11, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you currently learning a new language?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 11, 2016

Not exactly a new language, but I have been trying to improve my level of Italian. I must say that it was much easier in Brussels than in Lisbon (I moved a few months ago) as there (thanks to a large Italian population) Italian magazines and newspapers were largely available and I could watch RAI (Uno, Due and Tre) programmes…

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Japanese Feb 11, 2016

My wife and I have been going to Japanese lessons for 18 months, so that we can make the most of a holiday in Japan in March 2016. It will be the first time we have been to anywhere east of the Caucasus, and we're very excited.
We're not very good students, but I do use Anki every morning before I start work to reinforce and develop vocabulary.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Feb 11, 2016

But not for any work purposes (at least for the foreseeable future).
Exactly as Teresa, I'm working on improving my Italian.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
Czech to French
+ ...
Other Feb 11, 2016

similar to others. Trying to improve some existing languages and trying to get a "tourist" level knowledge of others.

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 11, 2016

I've been trying to learn Finnish for a couple of years now (I had a lot of Finnish friends when I lived in Malta), but it's such a complex language and I don't have much time to devote to it, so my progress has been very slow. Maybe I'll add it as a source language in about 30 years

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Not for work purposes Feb 11, 2016

I am also trying to improve a language - French - because my sisters both now live in France and it seemed a good idea.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I'll start working on my Spanish again Feb 11, 2016

in the summer, well in time to improve it before I go back to Burgos to finish the last leg of the Camino de Santiago in 2017.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Welsh Feb 11, 2016

But not for work purposes, I just live very close to the Welsh border and am positively in love with North Wales (Colwyn Bay, Caernarfon, etc.).

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
No.... Feb 11, 2016

... but I am learning the trumpet!!!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I have little choice Feb 11, 2016

I didn't really plan my move to Spain: We came to Fuerteventura for a one-week holiday and ended up putting down a deposit on a house on the sixth day, then moving over - hopefully for good - just three months later. This lightning change of location meant that I had little chance to learn Spanish so I'm trying to put that right. There are plenty of Brits locally who have been here for 10 or even 20 years and have never bothered, but as a translator I could never feel comfortable doing that. It'... See more
I didn't really plan my move to Spain: We came to Fuerteventura for a one-week holiday and ended up putting down a deposit on a house on the sixth day, then moving over - hopefully for good - just three months later. This lightning change of location meant that I had little chance to learn Spanish so I'm trying to put that right. There are plenty of Brits locally who have been here for 10 or even 20 years and have never bothered, but as a translator I could never feel comfortable doing that. It's a pretty sad life, anyway, if you spend all your time in an expatriate community without understanding a word of anything outside of that bubble. Not for me!

But although it's a requirement, it's also something I'm enjoying most of the time. It's just a little frustrating that progress is so much slower the older you get.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but... Feb 11, 2016

No, but if I was, it'd just be as a hobby at this point.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Salish Feb 11, 2016

Hopefully, I will be able to continue my studies of this language. It will take time, but with friends who are native speakers I'm getting all the support I need.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:22
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Chinese? Feb 13, 2016

I am fluent in only two languages, which seems very little considering a previous post here. I learned pretty well another two languages, not enough to translate, but enough to communicate well. And I gave up another two languages for being too complicated and useless for me.

I would like to improve my skills in those two intermediate languages, and I may do that in the future.

Now, if I had the time and were a bit younger, I would certainly put my efforts in learning C
... See more
I am fluent in only two languages, which seems very little considering a previous post here. I learned pretty well another two languages, not enough to translate, but enough to communicate well. And I gave up another two languages for being too complicated and useless for me.

I would like to improve my skills in those two intermediate languages, and I may do that in the future.

Now, if I had the time and were a bit younger, I would certainly put my efforts in learning Chinese. There is currently a high demand and little offer for it, and those who speak Chinese and English or another "big" language are doing pretty well. But it would take years to know Chinese well enough to be able to translate. I may invest in Chinese in the future, but it's not likely at my age. I will motivate any of my kids, though, if they show any interest.
Collapse

Laura Bazzana
Laura Bazzana  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
French Feb 20, 2016

I've been learning French for the past 2 years at Alliance Française and I love it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you currently learning a new language?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »