Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Sign of the times: do you (still) wear a watch?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
What happened to “Sometimes” or “On special occasions”? Feb 14, 2016

I have 3 wristwatches, one of them is a fashionable Swatch, the New York 42nd St model (I think), for travel, and another a slightly more expensive Skagen for more special occasions, like job interviews and conferences.

I'm right-handed, so I tend to wear my wristwatches on my left wrist, naturally. However, since I wear a Fitbit band on my left hand, I seldom wear a wristwatch these days.

I'm with Davide, our colleague from Italy: a smartphone or even a digitized objec
... See more
I have 3 wristwatches, one of them is a fashionable Swatch, the New York 42nd St model (I think), for travel, and another a slightly more expensive Skagen for more special occasions, like job interviews and conferences.

I'm right-handed, so I tend to wear my wristwatches on my left wrist, naturally. However, since I wear a Fitbit band on my left hand, I seldom wear a wristwatch these days.

I'm with Davide, our colleague from Italy: a smartphone or even a digitized object of envy like the Apple Watch or similar types are not substitutes for a timepiece. There's something magical about seeing the mechanical parts of a watch.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Absolutely! Feb 14, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

There's something magical about seeing the mechanical parts of a watch.

Nothing replaces the real and original piece. It's like asking the girls if they would replace their jewels with a virtual jewel (a hologram). It has an intrinsic meaning and personality traits. But the new generation does not seem to consider these values anymore.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:03
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A watch with personality traits? Feb 14, 2016

That's a very romanticisd viewpoint that I don't share. I do like old clocks and I love my grand-daughter longcase clock from around 1904 even if its chimes do keep guests awake. But for telling the time I use my computer or phone when at home and my phone or very cheap and simple Casio watch when out. I have to keep wearing it as I've got a bright white band around my wrist.

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:03
German to English
Last year I would have said Yes, Feb 14, 2016

but I am at the computer a lot more now, and the wristband cuts my skin when my hands are on the keyboard. So I wear a watch much less these days.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:03
Russian to English
Mine's a Rado... Feb 14, 2016

...thank you for asking

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes! Feb 14, 2016

But it's more of a piece of jewelry and even if I wear it, which I always do outside the house, I still check the time on my phone.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:03
German to French
+ ...
No Feb 14, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Why wouldn't one wear a watch? It's ok if you have a clock at home, or you're near your computer. But if you are outside, how can you tell what the time is without a watch?
I have several clocks at home. When I'm out of home, I have a clock in my car and the radio keeps me aware of the time too. And once I'm out of the car, I usually don't need to know exactly what time it is. If I ever do, I ask someone, look at a clock where I am, or if none of these works, I check my mobile phone (which is usually out of charge anyway).

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Sheila Feb 14, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

A watch with personality traits.

Sorry, Sheila. I didn't say the watch has personality traits, of course. The person who wears one has their reasons and likes, though. Those are personality traits. Then I mentioned the jewels for comparison purposes. Don't you think they somehow reflect personality traits? And isn't a watch a jewel?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:03
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh, I see Feb 14, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

A watch with personality traits.

Sorry, Sheila. I didn't say the watch has personality traits, of course. The person who wears one has their reasons and likes, though. Those are personality traits. Then I mentioned the jewels for comparison purposes. Don't you think they somehow reflect personality traits? And isn't a watch a jewel?

Whether a watch is jewellery or not depends very much on the watch. Mine is an awful long way from that. It does give a very clear clue to my personality: it's 100% functional (plastic, waterproof, clear numbers...), zero fashion statement (very few watches are black nowadays), and it cost the minimum necessary for a watch that tells you the time - 15€. That sounds like me.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Functional wristwatches Feb 15, 2016

I remember those Timex wristwatches that could sync with one of the US atomic clocks (one in Colorado, I think) thanks to the watch's receiver. I think this model cost all of 20 dollars. I never bought one although I felt tempted to, especially since I was traveling a little more and I would've appreciated the convenience of instant time zone changes.

Now any smartphone can do that.

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here! Feb 15, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

... Mine is an awful long way from that. It does give a very clear clue to my personality: it's 100% functional (plastic, waterproof, clear numbers...), zero fashion statement (very few watches are black nowadays), and it cost the minimum necessary for a watch that tells you the time - 15€. That sounds like me.

Just like mine. But I wear it everytime I go out. Not at home, though.

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Hardly ever Feb 16, 2016

At home I don't need it. When I'm traveling, it's just too much hassle taking it off at every border crossing and airport.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Sign of the times: do you (still) wear a watch?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »