Poll: For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 15:30
SITE STAFF
Mar 13, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ben Harrison. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:30
Member (2008)
English to Italian
>50 Mar 13, 2016

Italy: taxes over 50%
two kids
my partner's salary is definitely low.
You try to work 5 + 1/2 days a week, but if you have to work 7 days a week you smile and feel happy.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
> 50 / other Mar 13, 2016

All depends on what you want from life.
I want my morgage paid off as quick as I can and work a little more to achieve this, and as long as there is enough work out there and I do not "over-stress" myself, I will keep on doing it that way.
Taxes and health insurance are also quite high here in Germany - its life, and if I did not have any children or our families were not living here in Europe, I would probably be living on The Falkland Islands or in New Zealand where conditions are apparently a lot better.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:30
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
> 50 Mar 13, 2016

By necessity because I can use only two fingers of my right hand (even though I am right-handed) which makes typing that much more laborious and time-consuming.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
It varies Mar 13, 2016

of course depending on health, deadlines, social activies etc.

But my ideal week would be about 36 hours.

[Edited at 2016-03-13 10:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-13 11:41 GMT]

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
> 75 Mar 13, 2016

> 75

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:30
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Curious working hours Mar 13, 2016

I usually spend the whole day and night with the computer on. However, our routine is pretty varied, as we don't have to follow strict working hours (thank God). So, although I turn my computer on when I wake up, and turning it off is usually the last thing I do every day, I do not spend the whole day working.
While I'm in the computer, I do many other things that work as breaks, like reading e-mails, facebooking, youtubing. googling, shopping or even playing a little videogame. I also stand up many times during the day to cook, eat, wash, shower, watch the news, etc. So I think we can have a pretty healthy routine, with several hourly breaks, a cup of cofee and some fun during the working hours, something you would hardly ever be able to do in regular jobs.
My vote was from 40-50 hours a week, because I believe if I add up the actual working hours, it will add up to that.

Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:30
English to Indonesian
+ ...
100 hours a week Mar 14, 2016

As long as I hold projects to complete, I work 70 hours a week (7 days) at normal rate. In case that I get a VIP client who pay higher rate in advance, I can work 120-130 hours a week.
To be honest, my occupational motivation highly depends on money. I can work as a workaholic at very good payment in advance, but I can also work as a newbie translator at a peanut rate with long delayed payment. I can adjust my performance to payment.
Do you want my best performance? Please take VIP service. I can work 120 hours a week at higher payment in advance.

[Edited at 2016-03-14 07:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search