Poll: For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:17
SITE STAFF
Mar 13, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ben Harrison. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:17
Member (2008)
English to Italian
>50 Mar 13, 2016

Italy: taxes over 50%
two kids
my partner's salary is definitely low.
You try to work 5 + 1/2 days a week, but if you have to work 7 days a week you smile and feel happy.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
> 50 / other Mar 13, 2016

All depends on what you want from life.
I want my morgage paid off as quick as I can and work a little more to achieve this, and as long as there is enough work out there and I do not "over-stress" myself, I will keep on doing it that way.
Taxes and health insurance are also quite high here in Germany - its life, and if I did not have any children or our families were not living here in Europe, I would probably be living on The Falkland Islands or in New Zealand where conditions are apparently a lot better.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
> 50 Mar 13, 2016

By necessity because I can use only two fingers of my right hand (even though I am right-handed) which makes typing that much more laborious and time-consuming.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
It varies Mar 13, 2016

of course depending on health, deadlines, social activies etc.

But my ideal week would be about 36 hours.

[Edited at 2016-03-13 10:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-13 11:41 GMT]

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
> 75 Mar 13, 2016

> 75

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Curious working hours Mar 13, 2016

I usually spend the whole day and night with the computer on. However, our routine is pretty varied, as we don't have to follow strict working hours (thank God). So, although I turn my computer on when I wake up, and turning it off is usually the last thing I do every day, I do not spend the whole day working.
While I'm in the computer, I do many other things that work as breaks, like reading e-mails, facebooking, youtubing. googling, shopping or even playing a little videogame. I also stand up many times during the day to cook, eat, wash, shower, watch the news, etc. So I think we can have a pretty healthy routine, with several hourly breaks, a cup of cofee and some fun during the working hours, something you would hardly ever be able to do in regular jobs.
My vote was from 40-50 hours a week, because I believe if I add up the actual working hours, it will add up to that.

Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
100 hours a week Mar 14, 2016

As long as I hold projects to complete, I work 70 hours a week (7 days) at normal rate. In case that I get a VIP client who pay higher rate in advance, I can work 120-130 hours a week.
To be honest, my occupational motivation highly depends on money. I can work as a workaholic at very good payment in advance, but I can also work as a newbie translator at a peanut rate with long delayed payment. I can adjust my performance to payment.
Do you want my best performance? Please take VIP service. I can work 120 hours a week at higher payment in advance.

[Edited at 2016-03-14 07:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search