https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/299734-poll_which_version_of_windows_do_you_currently_use.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which version of Windows do you currently use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which version of Windows do you currently use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Peishun CHIANG. View the poll results »

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Windows 10 option Mar 19, 2016

Was this poll pulled out of the dim recesses of ancient times when Windows 10 didn't exist?

I use mainly Windows 7 which I'm quite happy with. My wife's laptop is Windows 8.1 and I don't like it. Windows XP was fine, Windows Vista was rubbish. I also have Windows 10 on a recently acquired mini-laptop or notebook or whatever you want to call it and I find it OK.

[Edited at 2016-03-19 08:49 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:56
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Mar 19, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

Was this poll pulled out of the dim recesses of ancient times when Windows 10 didn't exist?

This shows just how long the poll queue is.

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Windows 10 Mar 19, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

I was using Windows XP and Windows 7. Now I am using Windows 10.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
W7 Mar 19, 2016

I'm using Windows 7 now and have no problems with it. Ialso use the Microsoft Office suite 2010 with it. I thought about installing Windows 10 last year, but the idea of the automatic lockstep updates put me off.
I actually preferred XP, because I was able to use my CD dictionaries with it, but unfortunately they don't work on a 64-bit platform, so I eventually grudgingly moved on. In fact, I kept one computer with XP going so that I could still use the dictionaries, but eventually it bec
... See more
I'm using Windows 7 now and have no problems with it. Ialso use the Microsoft Office suite 2010 with it. I thought about installing Windows 10 last year, but the idea of the automatic lockstep updates put me off.
I actually preferred XP, because I was able to use my CD dictionaries with it, but unfortunately they don't work on a 64-bit platform, so I eventually grudgingly moved on. In fact, I kept one computer with XP going so that I could still use the dictionaries, but eventually it became too much hassle, so now I tend to rely on online research, although not through choice.

[Edited at 2016-03-19 10:13 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 19, 2016

I upgraded my desktop to Windows 10 last November; my laptop is still running Windows 8…

[Edited at 2016-03-19 12:10 GMT]

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Other Mar 19, 2016

Both my desktop computer's and my laptop's OS is Linux (Debian/KDE) and each has a VM that can run Windows XP (only for my old Trados 2007 Workbench) and Windows 7 (I skipped Vista, didn't like 8 and will wait for the teething troubles to have been sorted before switching to 10).

Theoretically, I could do all my translating in LibreOffice but I found the formatting not satisfactorily compatible with MS Office (which my clients demand), that's why I had the VMs installed to run Wind
... See more
Both my desktop computer's and my laptop's OS is Linux (Debian/KDE) and each has a VM that can run Windows XP (only for my old Trados 2007 Workbench) and Windows 7 (I skipped Vista, didn't like 8 and will wait for the teething troubles to have been sorted before switching to 10).

Theoretically, I could do all my translating in LibreOffice but I found the formatting not satisfactorily compatible with MS Office (which my clients demand), that's why I had the VMs installed to run Windows in a safe environment.

Call me paranoid, but I really don't feel comfortable with MS Windows being my window (sic!) to the world, thank you very much. I do all my online research within a Linux environment, and that fact eliminates a whole bunch of vulnerabilities right from the bat.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Windows 10 Mar 19, 2016

Just upgraded, a little hesitantly and don't regret it. I think it "debugged" my computer which is much faster now.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Windows 7 Mar 19, 2016

on my one laptop, and I tried the upgrade to win10 on my other laptop and am going to wait until my win7 laptop dies before I get another computer.
My desktop died when I did the upgrade on that so I will be waiting a bit before I get a new desktop computer.
On top of that, win10 has gotten rid of a lot of non-microsoft drivers which annoyed me a lot, but thats life in the world of Microsoft!
And the annoying thing with win10 is that I discovered that I do nto have any programs
... See more
on my one laptop, and I tried the upgrade to win10 on my other laptop and am going to wait until my win7 laptop dies before I get another computer.
My desktop died when I did the upgrade on that so I will be waiting a bit before I get a new desktop computer.
On top of that, win10 has gotten rid of a lot of non-microsoft drivers which annoyed me a lot, but thats life in the world of Microsoft!
And the annoying thing with win10 is that I discovered that I do nto have any programs any more, they have been conjured in "Apps"
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Mar 19, 2016

Windows 8.1 on my desktop (a pain in the neck) and Windows 10 on my new laptop. It takes time to get used to Windows 10, but it already is much better than Windows 8.

If I could choose, I'd isntantly return to Windows XP, thus far the best OS the company has ever come up with.

[Edited at 2016-03-19 15:45 GMT]

SteveMcD
SteveMcD  Identity Verified
German to English
Windows 10 Mar 19, 2016

I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and bought a new Windows 10 PC for my home office. So far, I'm lovin' it.
The PC is a huge improvement over my old XP machine although the old one is still chugging along reliably after 7 years of service. I don't use it for anything sensitive due to security concerns, but it still works fine. My son, who is growing up bilingual for example, uses an older version of MemoQ on it to do translations for his school projects.
My laptop is much
... See more
I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and bought a new Windows 10 PC for my home office. So far, I'm lovin' it.
The PC is a huge improvement over my old XP machine although the old one is still chugging along reliably after 7 years of service. I don't use it for anything sensitive due to security concerns, but it still works fine. My son, who is growing up bilingual for example, uses an older version of MemoQ on it to do translations for his school projects.
My laptop is much faster since upgrading from Windows 7 and there was no problem with migrating any of the programs.
The best part is how everything is so easily synched between both computers and my windows phone. Working on the move has gotten a lot easier since I switched.
Collapse

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:56
English to French
Linux Mar 19, 2016

I only keep an old Windows install for a few games and DVDs that won't work elsewhere. Everything else I do on Linux - usually Ubuntu, but I try other distributions occasionally. I couldn't sign an NDA in good conscience knowing that my operating system actively monitors everything I do and includes backdoors for government agencies, not to mention the vulnerability to viruses.

neilmac wrote:

I actually preferred XP, because I was able to use my CD dictionaries with it, but unfortunately they don't work on a 64-bit platform, so I eventually grudgingly moved on.

Look into virtual machines, you could run Windows XP as a program on your main operating system (like Katrin above) and launch your dictionaries from there.

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:56
English to French
Suspicious Mar 19, 2016

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Just upgraded, a little hesitantly and don't regret it. I think it "debugged" my computer which is much faster now.

I've been hearing reports from family that their computers have gotten much slower, and buggy for some, since February, which coincides with the date Microsoft started downloading Windows 10 code onto Win7+ machines without the users' consent. I find it suspicious at best.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:56
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Or does it prove something else? Mar 19, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

This shows just how long the poll queue is.

Or is it an evidence that poll questions are repeated while many good questions are ignored?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:56
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Windows 10 is the new MS disaster Mar 19, 2016

Everyone thought Win 10 would fix the issues with Win 8. Tons of people removed Win 8 from their computers and returned to Win 7 or XP (including myself). Windows 10, however, is a disaster, and transforms your computer into an electronic turtle, full of bugs, hundreds of them. It's free because we're all guinea pigs for a version that will be charged in the near future. I will likely go back to Win 7 once again. And likely move to Linux or nuy a Mac as soon as I have the courage.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which version of Windows do you currently use?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »