https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/301207-poll_if_available_do_you_use_the_localized_version_of_prozcom_in_your_native_language.html

Poll: If available, do you use the localized version of ProZ.com in your native language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 21, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If available, do you use the localized version of ProZ.com in your native language?".

This poll was originally submitted by Erik Hansson. View the poll results »

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-04-21 10:55 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 21, 2016

My native language is English.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other II Apr 21, 2016

My native languages are Spanish and then English. I write and translate in both of them.

In addition, I'm trying to stay away from episodes of esophageal reflux caused by potentially poorly translated websites.

I no longer use the word “localización de software” in my native Spanish as it's about translated software. Competent and professional translators through the ages have always translated stuff thinking about the local user.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:28
French to Spanish
+ ...
No Apr 21, 2016

I'm spanish but I like to stay in touch with my foreign languages (FR and EN).

I learn new vocabulary from webpages that is very important for some translations (e-commerce and so).

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:28
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
??? Apr 21, 2016

I suppose I have no option but to choose 'Other' as in 'there is no version of Proz.com localized into Japanese so I use the available English version, which just happens to be in my native language.'

Another thing...
The person in charge of quick polls could do us all a favour and at least run a spellcheck before posting polls.

Point in question: lanaguage -> language

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Ha ha Apr 21, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

I suppose I have no option but to choose 'Other' as in 'there is no version of Proz.com localized into Japanese so I use the available English version, which just happens to be in my native language.'

Another thing...
The person in charge of quick polls could do us all a favour and at least run a spellcheck before posting polls.

Wow Julian, they responded quickly there:-)

[Edited at 2016-04-21 16:45 GMT]

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
No Apr 21, 2016

Wow Julian, they responded quickly there:-)

Well, they missed the one at the bottom of these posts ... it still says lanaguage.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-04-21 11:53 GMT]

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other N/A Apr 21, 2016

I use the English version usually, but on my phone in comes up automatically in Greek - and I haven't bothered to change the setting.

Oleg Delendyk
Oleg Delendyk
Ukraine
Local time: 14:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Apr 21, 2016

I use Russian version of ProZ.com because my native language is Russian. It is very convenient for me.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:28
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too. Apr 21, 2016

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

I'm spanish but I like to stay in touch with my foreign languages (FR and EN).

I learn new vocabulary from webpages that is very important for some translations (e-commerce and so).

Same here.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
English original version Apr 21, 2016

I never use translated version of sites as long as they are in a language I understand,

[Edited at 2016-04-21 16:31 GMT]

Hussein Dayow Idow
Hussein Dayow Idow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Somali to English
+ ...
No. Apr 21, 2016

I am a SomaliEnglish translator and we don't have the localised version of ProZ.com. Thus, I feel no problem using English as a third language for me on proz since I also speak Swahili and am also a Swahili English translator.

English and Swahili are my major language of communication than my Native language.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:28
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lessons learned - English is the language Apr 21, 2016

One thing I have learned in 30 years as a translator and over 20 years as a "user": If you don't want to miss the point regularly, software and websites (as well as movies and TV programs) must be in English, unless they were originally written in another language. Translations of these things are usually terrible, and even when they are very good (pretty rare), there are so many undue and literal translations, it's not advisable.

[Edited at 2016-04-21 17:32 GMT]

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Apr 21, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

One thing I have learned in 30 years as a translator and over 20 years as a "user": If you don't want to miss the point regularly, software and websites (as well as movies and TV programs) must be in English, unless they were originally written in another language. Translations of these things are usually terrible, and even when they are very good (pretty rare), there are so many undue and literal translations, it's not advisable.

[Edited at 2016-04-21 17:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If available, do you use the localized version of ProZ.com in your native language?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »