Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually suffer from migraines as a result of your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not from work Apr 26, 2016

I don't get migraines the way I used to - they were hormone-related and followed a definite pattern. The old-style medication was not much help. One of the advantages of getting older

I still get milder attacks - triggers are some types of perfume, alcohol, and going to bed even later than usual and disrupting my routine. That may be work and stress-related, but if I do it because I am out having fun, I still have to
... See more
I don't get migraines the way I used to - they were hormone-related and followed a definite pattern. The old-style medication was not much help. One of the advantages of getting older

I still get milder attacks - triggers are some types of perfume, alcohol, and going to bed even later than usual and disrupting my routine. That may be work and stress-related, but if I do it because I am out having fun, I still have to have my pills handy.
Another slightly mysterious trigger is exercise, especially when the weather is cold. I can go for a good walk with a warm scarf on, even in winter, but a if there are a lot of hills on a walking club route, I see a fantastic aura, chicken out halfway, and end up having to sleep it off with medication. I just don't seem to be able to improve my general fitness enough to raise the exercise threshold.

The medication takes the headache, and I am able to make polite conversation or watch undemanding TV. I can't stand bright lights, however, and trying to work 'under the influence' is a waste of time. The results are just amazingly bad!

Sumatriptan is a miracle for me - if I take it before the headache gets serious, I really barely know I have migraine any more. It gives me the shivers for an hour, but then I know I am over the worst!

I haven't tried the water cure, but my body thinks I need to lose a lot of water when I have an attack - I lose a couple of kilos sometimes! But in a day or two they are back on again...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually suffer from migraines as a result of your work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »