Poll: Have you ever felt tempted to give up your job as a translator/interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever felt tempted to give up your job as a translator/interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by Irène Guinez. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope May 6, 2016

I know which side my bread is buttered

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! May 6, 2016

I have been translating for over 30 years full-time (20 in-house), plus a few years part-time. All the ups and downs are part of the journey. I do not fear work or challenges and as I am very stubborn (almost pig-headed about trying to achieve something) they don’t make me give up but try harder…

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, May 6, 2016

It's the best job I ever had...

Hussein Dayow Idow
Hussein Dayow Idow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
Somali to English
+ ...
Yes. May 6, 2016

I quit my onsite translations and interpretation for united Nation High Commissioner for Refugees for their streneous, risky and not well paying job. I never though I will come back to translations and interpretation service until a year letter I was advised to do Online Translation and interpretation. Online translation and interpretation consultancy is the best.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
NO! May 6, 2016

Compared with being an employee in various jobs in the financial world which offered little or no intellectual stimulation or challenge, freelance translating is heaven on earth.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Actually, yes May 6, 2016

During an interpreting job, I met a Polish princess who offered her hand in matrimony to me, along with her large estate and plentiful rents in the amount of $1,800,000.00 a year.

Or was it a Nigerian princess? I forget.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Ha ha May 6, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

During an interpreting job, I met a Polish princess who offered her hand in matrimony to me, along with her large estate and plentiful rents in the amount of $1,800,000.00 a year.

Or was it a Nigerian princess? I forget.

Did´nt it say where in the scam mail☺

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:16
Japanese to English
Quit and do what? May 6, 2016

I answered yes because I do get bored on occasion, but the question is Give up and do what? There's nothing else I'd rather do and no other job I get excited about as much as translation... plus I really, really hate commuting to work. So it's the freelance translator's life for me.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:16
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All others, except translation May 6, 2016

I had that idea about all other jobs I had in my life. And I actually ended up qutting all of them, except translating, with no regrets whatsoever.

Translating is the only thing I have ever done (professionally speaking) with pleasure AND a decent income. I'll never quit it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Daily May 6, 2016

I often think about going back to the circus but I'm not sure I've got the legs for it any more

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Oh Please! May 7, 2016

Chris S wrote:

I often think about going back to the circus but I'm not sure I've got the legs for it any more

You're too modest.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:16
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
From time to time May 7, 2016

To quote Chris:

"I often think about going back to being a gigolo but I'm not sure I've got the leg for it any more."

The thought does cross my mind when earnings are really low and customers have reneged on their promises - yet again.

However, after 30+ years as a translator, I've worked myself into such a tight niche that I think it would be impossible to change lanes and mov
... See more
To quote Chris:

"I often think about going back to being a gigolo but I'm not sure I've got the leg for it any more."

The thought does cross my mind when earnings are really low and customers have reneged on their promises - yet again.

However, after 30+ years as a translator, I've worked myself into such a tight niche that I think it would be impossible to change lanes and move over to a completely different profession or line of work.
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
No May 7, 2016

Because this is my new profession (I used to teach at Universities) and I hope it will see me into old age. I got fed up with the politics of academia and the domination of certain sectors by students from just one country (China) which made teaching less varied and interesting. I did an online course in translation in 2010, took my Diploma in 2011 and have been working freelance ever since. I like the fact I am not tied down to fixed dates, or times, and I do have the luxury of another source o... See more
Because this is my new profession (I used to teach at Universities) and I hope it will see me into old age. I got fed up with the politics of academia and the domination of certain sectors by students from just one country (China) which made teaching less varied and interesting. I did an online course in translation in 2010, took my Diploma in 2011 and have been working freelance ever since. I like the fact I am not tied down to fixed dates, or times, and I do have the luxury of another source of income (renting out our old flat in London) so no, this is it for me.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever felt tempted to give up your job as a translator/interpreter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »