Poll: Have you ever been diagnosed with Cumulative Trauma Disorder because of excessive typing?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 00:12
SITE STAFF
May 7, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever been diagnosed with Cumulative Trauma Disorder because of excessive typing?".

This poll was originally submitted by Isabel Fernandez. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No May 7, 2016

The key is to keep your wrists raised. I learned this from piano lessons when I was a child. Can't play the piano, but I'm an excellent typist.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 08:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! May 7, 2016

Maybe because I exercise and massage my fingers before starting typing. That's something I used to see my mother do every day before playing: she was a professional pianist. That's probably the reason I have never experienced hand or wrist pains or any other occupational cumulative trauma disorder...

Martha Schwan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Way May 7, 2016

No at all!!

But I have at this moment a trauma due to the excess of inactivity!!

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:12
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
NO May 7, 2016

It helps to change the position of the hand e.g. I have several kinds of mice, some of them are upright.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
No. May 7, 2016

I can balance in a handstand for a minute. My wrists are in good shape.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No May 7, 2016

Especially since I'm using my dragon. Voice recognition software is a true blessing.

[Edited at 2016-05-08 05:10 GMT]

Bruno Veilleux
Canada
Local time: 03:12
English to French
Sort of May 7, 2016

Close enough. I have thoracic outlet syndrome, so typing isn't exactly the source of my problems, but too much typing or mouse usage definitely brings out the symptoms. That's why freelancing is a blessing for me, I can manage my workload and the higher pay compared to my local market allows me to make a living without working full time.

I too use different pointing devices (touchpad, graphics tablet, Mycestro, and rarely an actual mouse - I tried a vertical mouse for a while but never really liked it) to switch things up, but I have yet to find the Holy Grail.

Luiz Barucke
Brazil
Local time: 06:12
Member (2013)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
No, but... May 7, 2016

Not for typing, but about 15 years ago, I worked for about one year recording cell phone ringtones (someone had to do that work. Some of them became hits in buses and subways ) and I used to spend 8-10 hours using massively mouse and keyboard (music keyboard, I would call it a piano, but a pianist wouldn't agree with me), and I had some medical problems on my wrist then.

After that, I learned some simple exercises to avoid that problem again with (typing) keyboard.

[Editada em 2016-05-07 13:54 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No. May 7, 2016

Interesting to compare the results of this poll (3.8% have currently answered "yes") with the survey I ran back in Jan/Feb this year. There, 8% reported a specific condition caused by typing.
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/04/04/survey/

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
CTD: nope May 7, 2016

A hand surgeon diagnosed me with overuse syndrome of my forearm muscles as the culprit for my wrist and finger pain due to typing.

The problem is not excessive typing (whatever that means) but misuse of hands, wrists, arms, poor posture, slouching, typing on a surface that forces you to raise your elbows, etc.

Actually, there are several exercises and no-cost preparations that anyone (except one-armed or hand-less people) can do to type text without experiencing any pain.

Now, using a mouse repetitively does cause injury to the wrist and the shoulder joint, injury that is resolved with proper stretching, exercise, choosing the right mouse size for your hand and knowing how to use a mouse correctly. This involves not resting your wrist against a surface, hard or soft, but always keeping your wrists somewhat elevated, like a pianist does.

Some of us were fortunate to have taken courses on typying (and not from a piece of software!). Thus, we learned touch typing. Among its secrets: a) use a keyboard that gives mechanical feedback or resistance to your fingertips and b) learn to press the keypads with just the right amount of force. Keep your elbows at a 90-degree angle, rest your forearms on the armpads of your office chair and just glide your fingertips over the keyboard.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been diagnosed with Cumulative Trauma Disorder because of excessive typing?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search