Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you think about working at home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dorothy would approve May 12, 2016

Thayenga wrote:

There's no place like home, sweet home (to work at). The greates benefit is that there's no commuting (crowds everywhere, impatient, in a hurry, etc.) ever. And there are no dress codes. Even when you oversleep, you can be at your desk within minutes and without a boss's eyes scolding you for being a bit late. (Unless you scold yourself.)

[Edited at 2016-05-12 13:55 GMT]

Now click your rubby slippers heel to heel

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:02
English to French
It's OK for me May 12, 2016

Because I didn't see the luvit option.
I can hardly imagine now wasting my time commuting. I prefer to choose who I mix with. So I went to the AC/DC concert last Tuesday, and nobody told me the next day that I was late at work.

Philippe

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Working at home is not the same as having a home office May 12, 2016

The traditional view of home is that of a sanctuary, a place for family and loved ones, a refuge, not exactly a place of work. But that might be a partial tradition because city dwellers tend to think like that, while rural dwellers, those who work in the field, have a barn, tend to chicken and cattle, may attach a different and/or larger meaning to home.

I was remembering the two times I was let go of the companies I was working for as an in-house translator. Here in America
... See more
The traditional view of home is that of a sanctuary, a place for family and loved ones, a refuge, not exactly a place of work. But that might be a partial tradition because city dwellers tend to think like that, while rural dwellers, those who work in the field, have a barn, tend to chicken and cattle, may attach a different and/or larger meaning to home.

I was remembering the two times I was let go of the companies I was working for as an in-house translator. Here in America, a company may pride itself of having a progressive culture (which is more a cult or personality cult rather than a culture), generous benefits for employees and an open-door policy. When they fire you or let you go, you have about 30-45 minutes to pack your personal things from your desk (they generously give you a free box to carry them to your car) and someone, security staff or a senior manager, will watch over you while you pack your things and grab your coat, not to keep you company but to make sure you don't sabotage their computer systems or take company property with you. Not even your closest coworkers are allowed to spend time with you, everything is said in hushes and you are let go.

So, having a proper home office to work at home is a bonus that has none of that humiliating mistreatment. Mind you, I have worked at great places and for awesome managers, but working again for an American company at their site, except as a temporary contractor? Never again.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:02
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I love it May 12, 2016

And as long as I have a choice, I will NEVER work in a company/office again.

P.S. - I do have a traditional office at home, BTW. A propper (and big) desk, a comfortable office chair, a fixed telephone line, printer/scanner/fax, stationery, and sort-of working hours. So it's not like sitting on the couch with a laptop and the TV on. I would not consider that alternative at all. But an office in a commercial building or a company offers me no advantages whatsoever against what I have
... See more
And as long as I have a choice, I will NEVER work in a company/office again.

P.S. - I do have a traditional office at home, BTW. A propper (and big) desk, a comfortable office chair, a fixed telephone line, printer/scanner/fax, stationery, and sort-of working hours. So it's not like sitting on the couch with a laptop and the TV on. I would not consider that alternative at all. But an office in a commercial building or a company offers me no advantages whatsoever against what I have at home.

[Edited at 2016-05-13 03:40 GMT]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 17:02
English to German
Love it May 12, 2016

And I've even built something to sit on (hint: it's not a chair) that's actually comfortable for me, and would never pass muster in any inhouse job. I'm pretty sure there are regulations for office chairs and tables!

Also, I can accept everyone's parcels for them, and carry the senior neighbor's groceries upstairs. So win-win.

Apart from that, Christine, are we related?

Leah Molloy
Leah Molloy  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:02
Member (2006)
German to English
Depends, depends May 13, 2016

I have been working from my beautiful office for 10 years now. I love the flexibility for family (I have children, older now but probably as teenagers even more demanding) as well as the light, the view of the garden and the two cats who keep me company but I do crave human company that doesn't require typing. I would love a co-sharing space a couple of days a week but the logistics in getting set up depress me (ergonomic chair, keyboard, mouse, desk.... all the necessary equipment to stop being... See more
I have been working from my beautiful office for 10 years now. I love the flexibility for family (I have children, older now but probably as teenagers even more demanding) as well as the light, the view of the garden and the two cats who keep me company but I do crave human company that doesn't require typing. I would love a co-sharing space a couple of days a week but the logistics in getting set up depress me (ergonomic chair, keyboard, mouse, desk.... all the necessary equipment to stop being crippled after 50 hours a week at a desk) not to mention that commuting times could be put to much better use. I could at different times of the day/week/month/year tick each and every option on the poll list!Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hate it May 13, 2016

Don't do it

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you think about working at home?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »