Poll: Do you ask for an official PO for test translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 4, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ask for an official PO for test translations?".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:13
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Convoluted question Jun 4, 2016

This is a roundabout way of asking

"Do you charge for test translations?"

since a PO would not be issued if you are doing the test translation for free, which is - unfortunately - the norm.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jun 4, 2016

Keep it sweet and simple...

After 40 years working as a translator (30 years full-time) I‘m rarely asked to do a test. I’ve been fortunate enough to get most of the clients I do work with through word-of-mouth, but if I’m really interested in a job I would rather do a translation test (paid or unpaid) than sending diplomas, references and the like and having to fill endless forms. Anyway, that’s how I got some of my highest-paid assignments.

[Edited at 2016-06-04 10:58 GMT]

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:13
French to German
+ ...
I don't do test translations Jun 4, 2016

Would you ask your lawyer/dentist/plumber for a test job? No? Then why on earth would you expect translators to do them?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 4, 2016

Rarely do them nowadays. Don't like POs and never insist on them anyway. I have this odd habit of trusting the people I work with.

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 18:13
English to Vietnamese
Rarely do unpaid tests nowadays Jun 4, 2016

Rarely do unpaid tests nowadays and POs are sometimes not required for paid tests.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Only if ... Jun 4, 2016

I rarely do test translations but I'd ask for a PO only if the test was to be paid - which is seldom the case - and if client was new to me.
Like Teresa, I have acquired some good clients after doing a short test translation for them.

Ana Cravidao
Ana Cravidao
Member (2012)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jun 4, 2016

The vast majority of test translations are not paid. In fact, I haven't taken one which was financially compensated.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:13
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PO = Purchase Order (or used to be until lask week) Jun 5, 2016

The last poll I answered was about rounding up invoice values. Now, requesting for POs for test translations.
I know I'm old, but I think some standards have changed while I was asleep. Doesn't "purchase" stand for buying and paying for something anymore?

[Edited at 2016-06-05 04:43 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - I rarely do test translations Jun 5, 2016

On the one occasion when I was paid, I processed the job as I would any other assignment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ask for an official PO for test translations?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »