Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually accept invoicing terms of 45 days or more?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:18
SITE STAFF
Jun 8, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually accept invoicing terms of 45 days or more?".

This poll was originally submitted by Joel Pina Diaz. View the poll results »

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Usually? No! Jun 8, 2016

All my clients pay within 30 days, with two exceptions on opposite sides: one always pays the day after receiving my invoice, the other pays 60 days after receiving my invoice...

Carla Catolino
Italy
Local time: 03:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes.... Jun 8, 2016

In Italy client's usually have 60-90 days to pay as this is the norm. It is a pleasant surprise when client's pay right after I have issued an invoice.

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
45 is not so bad Jun 8, 2016

it's 90 that I have a problem with (happens in France for example).

Markus Perndl
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
Sure! Jun 8, 2016

When clients ask for my rate, I offer them several options: one for a payment after 14 days, one after 30 days, one after 45 days, etc.

We have to understand that our clients nowadays are not only requiring translations services, but also credit services. And I don't think that any bank would grant a credit for free. So why should we translators do that?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 8, 2016

As long as they pay in the end and comply with the rest of my conditions, I can usually wait until my clients are ready to pay. Otherwise, working in Spain (Europe) would be more difficult for me, as potential clients often simply don't have the money ready to dish out at the same time as I would like to have it. This can happen for several reasons.
So, I don't usually include a "due date" in my invoices, as I would consider that mere wishful thinking or a stick to beat my clients with unnecessarily, as they may occasionally have cash flow problems of their own and I can understand this.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I answered "No" Jun 8, 2016

However, I should add that customers are obliged by law to pay within 60 days of delivery here in Japan. If they pay late, they are open to a fine for delayed payment on top of the original billing amount based on an annual rate of 14% + public shaming, in big cases, disclosed by the Fair Trade Commission on the internet.

So, payment is within 30 to 60 days depending on when you deliver relative to the monthly account closing date, which is generally the end of each calendar month.

HTH when dealing with Japanese customers icon_smile.gif

Of course, payment up front in gold bullion or diamonds deposited into one of my many Swiss accounts is very welcome! icon_cool.gif

Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
I wish I could refuse ! Jun 8, 2016

Anyway, 95 % of my clients pay within 30 days after date of invoice !

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, but that doesn't mean I like it. Jun 8, 2016

Fortunately most of my work lately has been for direct clients who usually pay as soon as they receive the invoice.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Depends Jun 8, 2016

I am fortunate to have customers that pay between 15 to 30 days (30 days is law in Germany although not all customers stick to it). And if the payment comes after 45 days then that is not so worrying. I do tend to avoid customers that take longer though.

And Julian, that with your Swiss accounts, I would be careful there, not that your name appears on some CD that has been illegally purchased by a government over here☺

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Shhhh! Jun 8, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

And Julian, that with your Swiss accounts, I would be careful there, not that your name appears on some CD that has been illegally purchased by a government over here☺

Forget Panama. No-one ever thinks of looking in the Penguin Bank of Antarctica. Don't tell anyone. Very translator-friendly! icon_biggrin.gif

Added another silly comment

[Edited at 2016-06-08 17:10 GMT]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes. Jun 8, 2016

neilmac wrote:

As long as they pay in the end and comply with the rest of my conditions, I can usually wait until my clients are ready to pay. Otherwise, working in Spain (Europe) would be more difficult for me, as potential clients often simply don't have the money ready to dish out at the same time as I would like to have it. This can happen for several reasons.
So, I don't usually include a "due date" in my invoices, as I would consider that mere wishful thinking or a stick to beat my clients with unnecessarily, as they may occasionally have cash flow problems of their own and I can understand this.

Yes, it's better to have a bunch of loyal clients who value tolerance.

In my case, just a few of them pay me exactly within the due date. Furthermore, 2 or 3 extra weeks is in the range of acceptable delays.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I suppose you mean payment terms Jun 8, 2016

Yes, up to 45 days, but I am getting tired of waiting longer.
So now I frequently decline jobs for customers who want long payment term...from the end of the month...., in one invoice etc.

I don't know any other profession that has to put up with that, so why us?

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Payment terms, not invoicing terms Jun 8, 2016

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

Yes, up to 45 days, but I am getting tired of waiting longer.
So now I frequently decline jobs for customers who want long payment term...from the end of the month...., in one invoice etc.

I don't know any other profession that has to put up with that, so why us?

My experience tells me the standard term is 30 days. At least, my best and regular clients all pay in 30 days, and all clients that required more than 30 days usually caused some kind of trouble, above all the need to "remind" them of the payments. When a client requests a term longer than 30 days, IMO, that is the first sign of potential future issues.

Curiously enough, I had clients from Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Brazil, China and India proposing payment terms above 30 days. But in the UK, USA, Canada, Germany, it never happened. It seems to be a cultural thing. I can only speak for Brazil, where clients will always try to lower your rates, extend the terms for payment, and other things of the "let's see if this passes" kind. The negotiations are a lot different with the two groups, and a lot faster and easier in group 2.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
No pending: either instantly or no longer than a week Jun 8, 2016

Fortunately, I neither know, nor care much how capitalistically it feels to be paid 45+ days:
should they want to pay in a month or so, they must want to have their job done in a month or so.

I work for direct clients as a translator/interpreter, so they pay me almost instantly or as agreed (within seven working days).

Moreover, if one is so trusted that he is paid in advance (happens sometimes too), then it must be really something.

Frankly, I’m not so culture-aware, but in this country it seems the earlier one gets paid, the more experienced, worthy, and respected he appears—at least I like the idea)

Cheers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually accept invoicing terms of 45 days or more?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search