Poll: Which marketing method is most effective for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:42
SITE STAFF
Jun 23, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which marketing method is most effective for you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Angus Stewart. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Word of mouth Jun 23, 2016

Word of mouth isn't exactly a marketing method but is how I've acquired every single one of my customers.

The problem with actively marketing your services as a translator is that you're not offering anything that everyone else isn't also claiming to offer.

So I don't bother.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 23, 2016

I haven’t marketed actively my services for a long time; most of my clients have contacted me via word-of-mouth, others through online directories or my website. Social networks are not my cup of tea and I’ve never attended industry events…

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Jun 23, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Word of mouth isn't exactly a marketing method but is how I've acquired every single one of my customers.

The problem with actively marketing your services as a translator is that you're not offering anything that everyone else isn't also claiming to offer.

So I don't bother.

Ditto. Never seen the need to advertise. Hence my rather surly proz profile.

As for LinkedIn, I thought I left it years ago but it keeps sending me emails asking if I know so-and-so... Apparently B. Gates has just bought it, goodness knows why.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Online directories Jun 23, 2016

ie proz.com.
Although passive marketing, it's effective for me.

Philippe

Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Word of mouth and online directories Jun 23, 2016

I think LinkedIn could be very useful too ... even if it hasn't brought any new clients to me so far.

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
See below Jun 23, 2016

Online directories (Yellow Pages and such, ProZ, BDÜ, theoretically also CIoL site, but hardly any impact in practice)
Our own website, i.e. prospects that came via Google (even if that website has not been enhanced by means of SEO).
Word of mouth (recommendation business)
LinkedIn (not actively used by us, but with two rather polished profiles - contributing to our order book as a supplementary factor in the decision-making process of businesses, not as a standalone marketing channel)

We do not get any work through our two Translators Café profiles anymore, although I used to get some there.

[Edited at 2016-06-23 12:40 GMT]

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Real opportunities don't chase everyone, but ambush sometimes Jun 23, 2016

I'm rather domestic, so once I sent a couple of CV's/cover letters to local offices of foreign companies in related fields, when a few month later they invited me for an interview I thought it was very CV's/cover letters, yet it still appeared they just had heard from my colleagues and clients...

Indeed, if I were to accept international projects, I would use some on-line publicity, but not now.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Online directories Jun 23, 2016

If that's what you call Proz.com.

Plus my own website.

And that's all I have needed to have plenty of work for years.

I don't think LinkedIn has rendered one single job, I am not on Twitter and Facebook is only for friends and private matters.

[Edited at 2016-06-23 13:34 GMT]

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word of mouth mostly Jun 23, 2016

Twenty some years ago, word of mouth brought me many of my clients as I was building my practice in New York City.

Oh, yeah, if I could make it there I could make it anywhere ♫

But let's be clear: word of mouth is not marketing. Sometimes we confuse marketing with advertising. Telling others about a product or service or about how well someone does a job is advertising. Now, telling a story (or a tall tale) or exaggerating the benefits or a product, service or work done by someone (even by yourself), well, that's marketing.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:42
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Online Directory (singular) = ProZ Jun 23, 2016

ProZ = 90%, other means = 10%

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:12
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Proz.com Jun 24, 2016

The only marketing I have ever done is put up a profile in proz.com.

I have also carried along the clients I knew while I was in a full time job, which includes my former employer. But the overwhelming bulk of my clients have found me through proz.com.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which marketing method is most effective for you?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search