Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many hard drives do you have in your computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Envy polls Jul 16, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Because it's a RAID I machine and the extra disk is for mirroring.

I hope this is not going to turn into one of those 'disk envy' polls.

♫I like big fat discs and I cannot lie ♪

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dust bunnies Jul 16, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

So my PC always has its cabinet open, and there is a power screwdriver within reach.

Keeping the PC cabinet always open is not a good practice, as dust and debris may find their way into circuits and connectors, not to mention fans. Dust is the enemy of electronics.

Now, if one is testing a new hardware component (a video card or a new hard drive), or if one is doing some specific diagnosis on the PC, then it may make sense to keep the enclosure open for the time being, but not on a permanent basis.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Remember PC World magazine? Jul 16, 2016

When I started working full-time as a translator, I also started tinkering with computers (for better or for worse). Back then (1991-1993), my go-to computer magazine was the then-thick-as-a-book PC World. Now it's as skinny as an issue of TIME magazine.

How-to instructions to install software and hardware were very useful to find in a magazine. There was no 24/7 Internet at the time and the risk of finding dubious advice was very low.

One of those pieces of advice cons
... See more
When I started working full-time as a translator, I also started tinkering with computers (for better or for worse). Back then (1991-1993), my go-to computer magazine was the then-thick-as-a-book PC World. Now it's as skinny as an issue of TIME magazine.

How-to instructions to install software and hardware were very useful to find in a magazine. There was no 24/7 Internet at the time and the risk of finding dubious advice was very low.

One of those pieces of advice consisted on keeping two hard drives inside the PC: one for the operating system, software drivers and such, and the other for cloning, backing up or imaging your computer's main hard drive.

With the arrival of external hard drives, it became increasingly easier to keep work and data separate from the main hard drive. A recent lesson I learned is that USB-powered external hard drives are better and more durable than similar hard drives with a power supply.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, but... Jul 16, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

When ...

supply.

Yes, but how many drivers do you have in your computer?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
other Jul 16, 2016

2 + 1 + 1 and three notebooks with SSDs (no HDD).

The point is after connecting an external HDD to my router I don't need other backups (drives).

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:37
Member (2006)
German to English
Okay Jul 17, 2016

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

I don't count external drives since the question was: how many hard drives do you have IN your computer.
I have 1 HD sliced into 2 partitions, one for system and one for data.

Michael Harris wrote:

it seems that all computers and laptops that I have bought over the past 10 years have always had 2 in them
Really? Maybe you've got different standards over there. But here, I don't think any standard computer bought in a standard shop has 2 hard drives. But most have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions, as I mentionned above.

I do not know if it is because I always buy in the upper price segment, but yes, believe it or not, you can actually fit more than one hard disc in a laptop as well, and not partitions like "in the old days".
And in the past I have bought a Sony, HP, Acer, Dell - and all of them had 2 HD inside, has nothing to do with standards

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Dust bunnies vs. heat Jul 17, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

So my PC always has its cabinet open, and there is a power screwdriver within reach.

Keeping the PC cabinet always open is not a good practice, as dust and debris may find their way into circuits and connectors, not to mention fans. Dust is the enemy of electronics.

You may have a point there, but it's relative.

I've never torn down a big-brand computer that had any filtering device for intake cooling air. So regardless of the fans facing outside blowing or inhaling fresh air, it carries all the airborne "stuff" available.

To quote an extreme case, my elder son is the IT manager in a large company that makes all kinds of non-woven auto parts textile auto parts. He says that whenever they open a PC that was being used in the shop floor area, there are no dust bunnies inside, they usually pull out one fully developed adult dust hare!

For me, it's easy, now and then I vacuum-clean (with a 1 kW household vacuum cleaner, not those USB "toys") the inside of my PC. If things look ugly there, I can pull out parts and wash them with isopropylic alcohol.

I think heat is a worse enemy of electronic components. The part I wash most often (say, every 4-6 months or so) is the main processor heat sink, replacing the thermal paste between it and the processor, which the dual-core sometimes bakes into a cake. Of course I do it also for other heat sinks, like the ones for the GPU and the BIOS.

I see fans for everything, including some for hard disk drives, however there isn't much room between them for air to flow, and no way for it to flow OUT of the cabinet. There are also many cooling stands for notebooks, to be mounted underneath.

I always think of the cooling problems in a notebook, especially those with nVidia GPUs, which are prone to overheat. My wife has a large & powerful notebook, and all the heat generated there within seems to be exhausted through a 1/2" x 1" grille. Is that possible? Anyway, nVidia GPUs in notebooks feed a blossoming reballing industry.

So it's a matter of choice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hard drives do you have in your computer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »