Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you purchase the license of your CAT tool anew every time it has a major upgrade?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 3, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you purchase the license of your CAT tool anew every time it has a major upgrade?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:23
Member (2006)
German to English
No Aug 3, 2016

I did actually purchase trados 2014 when it came out, but only installed it at the end of last year because I was having problems with Multiterm - which was a good choice because everything works a lot quicker since then.
Across - Okay, there was the free of charge version which I did update to the extra super version, but only because it was on offer.

I would never be the first to purchase "new" software because you are then the guinea pig and have to suffer the expriments th
... See more
I did actually purchase trados 2014 when it came out, but only installed it at the end of last year because I was having problems with Multiterm - which was a good choice because everything works a lot quicker since then.
Across - Okay, there was the free of charge version which I did update to the extra super version, but only because it was on offer.

I would never be the first to purchase "new" software because you are then the guinea pig and have to suffer the expriments the software companies do at our expense - no time for that
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 16:23
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Neither Aug 3, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

I would never be the first to purchase "new" software because you are then the guinea pig and have to suffer the expriments the software companies do at our expense - no time for that

Same here, I read numerous issues for new versions and understood the risk of being early adopters. We should wait until our own clients or agencies are well familiar with it.

Some like Kilgray even set very complicated renewal rules and almost try to rick you into purchasing the whole software again. I can not just take it either - it is sometimes just a normal bug fix than a new feature.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
I was (sort of) forced into it fairly recently and subsequently glad Aug 3, 2016

I'd been using Trados Studio 2014, judging that on balance its unreliability was outweighed by its utility. I changed my computer operating system to Windows 10 and found that Studio 2014 didn't work properly any more and rapidly bought 2015 that, prior to then, I had had no intention of buying. This was a stress purchase.
I then found that Studio 2015 was a much better beast than its predecessor and have been very glad that I bought it.
It still crashed yesterday though when I trie
... See more
I'd been using Trados Studio 2014, judging that on balance its unreliability was outweighed by its utility. I changed my computer operating system to Windows 10 and found that Studio 2014 didn't work properly any more and rapidly bought 2015 that, prior to then, I had had no intention of buying. This was a stress purchase.
I then found that Studio 2015 was a much better beast than its predecessor and have been very glad that I bought it.
It still crashed yesterday though when I tried to add a term to Multiterm.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, of course not Aug 3, 2016

it does not cost extra with Wordfast PRO.

I also use MemoQ, but my clients pay for that.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Talking about updates Aug 3, 2016

I bought a Packard Bell desktop pc a couple of years ago, which was born with Windows 8.0, and as it turns out that is all it supports.
When I tried to update to 8.1 it broke down (twice) and I had to reset to factory settings and start all over (in Windows 8).

Since yesterday, when I tried to open the computer it did not want to accept the access code and it seems frozen.
I suspect it has to do with Windows 10. But I don't know what Windows is up to.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 3, 2016

Non sequitur.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
This seems to be a Trados-only question... Aug 3, 2016

... like 80% of the questions in the Proz forums as a whole.

I only see Trados having vintage years like wines, and each such vintage being incompatible with another.

It's like serving both the Château des Cochons 2012 and 2014 in the same meal being expected to cause unavoidable dyspepsia.

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not applicable Aug 3, 2016

I agree with Yetta: I pay for Wordfast Studio and I have not been forced to pay extra for any Wf Classic or Pro update.
And I also use memoQ with my clients' licences. The same goes for minor CATs I use.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I doff my hat to you, sir Aug 3, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I only see Trados having vintage years like wines, and each such vintage being incompatible with another.

It's like serving both the Château des Cochons 2012 and 2014 in the same meal being expected to cause unavoidable dyspepsia.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No need Aug 3, 2016

I do not need to purchase a license because my favorite OmegaT is free as in ‘freedom’

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Packard Bell computers are unreliable Aug 3, 2016

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

I bought a Packard Bell desktop pc a couple of years ago, which was born with Windows 8.0, and as it turns out that is all it supports.
When I tried to update to 8.1 it broke down (twice) and I had to reset to factory settings and start all over (in Windows 8).

Since yesterday, when I tried to open the computer it did not want to accept the access code and it seems frozen.
I suspect it has to do with Windows 10. But I don't know what Windows is up to.

May I suggest sticking with good brands, such as Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus, etc.? Packard Bells were notoriously reliable back in the mid 1990s. It pays to read reviews of PC computers before buying one. www.Cnet.com and www.pcmag.com are two good sites to look for reviews.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Annual fee for MemoQ Aug 3, 2016

I mainly use MemoQ, which offers a reasonable annual maintenance fee (about $150) which includes automatically updating and upgrading as newer versions come out. It also provides for very fast, personal tech support.

IMO, the cost of CAT tools, compared to the software used by many other professions, is a bargain. A freelance engineer using Solidworks, for example, has an initial expense of about $4000 USD plus an annual maintenance fee of about $1200.

I consider it j
... See more
I mainly use MemoQ, which offers a reasonable annual maintenance fee (about $150) which includes automatically updating and upgrading as newer versions come out. It also provides for very fast, personal tech support.

IMO, the cost of CAT tools, compared to the software used by many other professions, is a bargain. A freelance engineer using Solidworks, for example, has an initial expense of about $4000 USD plus an annual maintenance fee of about $1200.

I consider it just a business expense necessary to have a smooth running operation.

[Edited at 2016-08-03 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
CAT tools and major upgrades Aug 3, 2016

A major upgrade is a new version in the software world. For example, going from Deja Vu X2 to Deja Vu X3.

However, updates in between main versions should be provided free of charge.

OmegaT and other tools may look free but no software is actually free. Sooner or later, someone has to pay for development and improvements.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you purchase the license of your CAT tool anew every time it has a major upgrade?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »