Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you think the UK's withdrawal from the EU is going to affect your translation business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 04:51
SITE STAFF
Aug 9, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think the UK's withdrawal from the EU is going to affect your translation business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Helen Portefaix. View the poll results »



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 12:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know! Aug 9, 2016

One can speculate, but, in the end, no one knows for sure, it all depends on how and when the negotiations will proceed. Personally, as I translate a lot for the European Institutions, and English will cease being a EU official language (unless Ireland and Malta ask for another official language besides, respectively, Gaelic and Maltese), my translation volume EN-PT will very probably decrease, but fortunately I have 3 other source languages and I do miss the days when I translated mostly from French…

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oh absolutely Aug 9, 2016

Now that all my clients have announced they will no longer need translations into British English, I'm going to have to move to the EU and learn a brand-new native language - exciting times!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:51
Member
German to English
+ ...
Rumours debunked Aug 9, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

One can speculate, but, in the end, no one knows for sure, it all depends on how and when the negotiations will proceed. Personally, as I translate a lot for the European Institutions, and English will cease being a EU official language (unless Ireland and Malta ask for another official language besides, respectively, Gaelic and Maltese), my translation volume EN-PT will very probably decrease, but fortunately I have 3 other source languages and I do miss the days when I translated mostly from French…


I think the rumour that English would cease to be an official language post-Brexit has been officially debunked. Not only is English the de-facto language used in the European Parliament, etc. Ireland would be unable to cope with Gaelic as an official language as it is spoken by only a tiny fraction of the population.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/languages-culture/news/english-will-remain-an-official-language-of-the-eu/


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 12:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Aug 9, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

One can speculate, but, in the end, no one knows for sure, it all depends on how and when the negotiations will proceed. Personally, as I translate a lot for the European Institutions, and English will cease being a EU official language (unless Ireland and Malta ask for another official language besides, respectively, Gaelic and Maltese), my translation volume EN-PT will very probably decrease, but fortunately I have 3 other source languages and I do miss the days when I translated mostly from French…


I think the rumour that English would cease to be an official language post-Brexit has been officially debunked. Not only is English the de-facto language used in the European Parliament, etc. Ireland would be unable to cope with Gaelic as an official language as it is spoken by only a tiny fraction of the population.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/languages-culture/news/english-will-remain-an-official-language-of-the-eu/


It will stay as an OFFICIAL language for sure if Scotland remains as an independent State, but all depends on the negotiations whatever some MPs and Commissioners might say. Anyway, it will very probably continue being a WORKING language…

I must add that everything related to Brexit has been a real shock and to me reads like the plot of a bad thriller full of fractured plotlines and disappearing protagonists followed by a business-as-usual-attitude…


Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 9, 2016

It is, and will continue to be, a massive fudge all round, but I don't think my work will be affected. If anything, my euros will likely be worth more when I send cash or visit back home, which will make a nice change.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:51
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Aug 9, 2016

I translate from Japanese to English, and Brexit happened on the other side of the planet.

The volume I have to translate is affected more by the exchange rate. Exporters might shelve plans to export if the rate changes rapidly or unfavorably.

To everyone else in the EU - Yoo'll hae tae learn scottish, 'en!

If the rate plummets to the point that it leaves J>E translators here in Japan stranded high 'n dry, then I'll just have to don fatigues again and supplement my income by doing black ops for dodgy governments. High bidders welcome! No questions asked!! The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday!!!

Added last line

[Edited at 2016-08-10 10:43 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Linda Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
No, I believe my business will not be affected Aug 9, 2016

I do not translate from neither into English; I'me worried about Brexit problem, though, but for other reasons...

[Editado em 2016-08-09 10:40 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not really... Aug 9, 2016

I do not see (for the time being) why would my clients in the UK stop using my services.

But time will tell. I am not the least worried... for now.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 9, 2016

As I live in the UK the impact on exchange rates is already being felt. In terms of workload, though, I really have no idea. The only way to find out is to carry on and see what happens...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:51
Member (2006)
German to English
Not really Aug 9, 2016

I cannot imagine that BE will die because GB will leave the EU at some stage in the near (distant) future. And equipment will still be imported thereafter.

Will challenge that when it comes around.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Aug 9, 2016

I suppose the Brits will keep speaking English for several decades, perhaps centuries.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:51
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Love it! Aug 9, 2016

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I suppose the Brits will keep speaking English for several decades, perhaps centuries.


Well, I intend to go on for decades, although I'm hedging my bets and finally becoming a Danish citizen! That really has more to do with the change in Danish regulations, which now allow me to be Danish without having to relinquish my British citizenship. Workwise it probably won't make much difference, but again, I am winding down a little for my own reasons.

The EU will carry on with its own lingua franca, aided and abetted by machine translation, and the Brits will speak English, with some continuing to moan about what others do to the language...
I suspect that after a few initial hiccups, the translation business will go on in the same direction as always.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:21
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Unlikely that I will be affected Aug 9, 2016

Located far away from both the EU and the UK and working in an unrelated pair (English to Hindi), I am unlikely to be affected. But I am worried about the broader signals that Brexit and its counterpart events elsewhere in the Western world (such the rise of Trump in the US and racisim and migration-phobia in the EU, UK and the US), as these point towards serious problems with the very globalization that largely underpins our profession, and therefore, any weakening of globalization is not good news for us translators who straddle cultures and mono-lingual nation-states, as we cannot survive in a ghettoised world.

[Edited at 2016-08-09 16:28 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think the UK's withdrawal from the EU is going to affect your translation business?

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search